D type.

mishmosh

Having had an intermittant fault for a couple of years , finally decided to bite the bullet. However its slways had a second or two delay kicking in which seems to be getting worse. I assume hydrraulic pressure slow building up ?

How can i check the valves and pump ?

Secondly Does the gauze fiter unscrew ( its tight and dont want to force it !

There is a very good article on the Canley Classics website covering various O/D units. I'm sure you have already glanced it. 

Regards.

Richard.

any overdrive work is best to get a proper workshop manual , it explains all you need to know

the filter pulls off,  normally covered in sticky gunge

you may need a new plate gasket

drain old gear oil and refill with new ep 80/90 GL4 when finished.

you can test pump pressure from the valve port on the top of the case,  get the manual first ..

you cant readily adjust the pump, there are relief valves and accessible parts underneath inside 2 of the 3 large plugs ....get the manual first

there are higher output pumps available,  not easy to do , need to make a pump drag tool .

set the valve and solenoid travel remove drivers side plate ,operate solenoid, look at lever it has hole in , use a drill as a gauge and adjust sol rod to align lever hole with hole in case.

on top is a tight spool valve holder, may need a special shaped socket to undo this, remove the cap and pull out the small needle spool inside . just check its small hole down the middle is clean. refit in the correct order

the other cap has relief bal and spring , make sure all is clean and spring has not collapsed.

buckeye triumphs have excellant photo step  by step technicals but not on D type , worth a read

http://www.buckeyetriumphs.org/technical/technical.htm

and manuals care of steve    http://vitessesteve.co.uk/Servicemanuals.htm

Pete

mishmosh.

I have a slight delay action on my Mk2 Vitesse - but only VERY occasionally.

After a long swift run, say 45minutes, the O/D will disengage okay but then reluctant to re-engage. After a minute all is well again. 

It's that 50/50 choice - do I leave it because in the main it works properly OR do I investigate to get rid of a slight delay on re-engaging. Currently option 2 is the choice !!

Perhaps when the g/box requires work that will be the time to look at it; unless circumstances dictate otherwise.

Conversely my Sunbeam Alpine S5 has a D type like the Vitesse; and there are no problems with delay or engagement with that one.

Good luck.

Richard.  

any overdrive work needs very long thin fingers , upside down varifocals and strong tea 

could you use a hex headed tap bolt to recover , its not under a lot of pressure , and only a cork gasket,  ( can be anything really)

if the covers off make sure its flat and not distorted by previous overtightening 

Pete

Its in good flat condition tap bolts a good idea. Will try and find a metric one (. 6 mm i assume ) or i maye be able to get my tap in and tirned if i can apply presssure. When i checked , it would appear to have been bedded in a silicone. Worked for twenty yrs so considering the same ....