OIL FILLER CAP - Do you have a spare ??

Hello,

Hopefully someone may be able to assist me, please ??

I am looking to obtain one of these oil filler caps for a Vitesse Mk2 - it needs to be this type.

If you can assist, please let me know via a PM.

Thanks in advance.

Best wishes.

Richard.

DSC00165.JPG

DSC00166.JPG

Hi Richard.  Sorry, no spare cap, though would like to know a bit about that one, if you know, if that's ok. I have the same one.

Do they come apart (doesn't look obvious), as the seal on mine (looks different to yours, as mine is flat) has split.

Don't know if this matters that much, as the rocker area, breathes anyway through the horse hair top bit I think, though it is apparently a sealed system? if one has the standard PCV, as I do.

Cheers, Dave  

Edited by daverclasper

Hello Dave,

As far as I am aware this cap is correct for the Mk2 Vitesse but I do not know if it was fitted to other Triumphs of that period. Dave Rumens (dave.vitesse) did an excellent article in one of The Courier magazines recently - identifying which cap should be with what car / breathing system.

The "top hat" on the cap provides for an element of venting or at least that is what I think its job is.

The plate on the underside of my cap (photo 2) is slightly sprung and this I think provides the snug fit when fitted in to position. I hasten to add that the cap in the photos is working correctly and complete - I'm just seeking another for a car.

Not sure if the above assists that much really - sorry !!

Hopefully Dave will pick the thread up and provide further insight.

Thanks for checking re a spare cap.

Regards.

Richard.

Mk2 2000 has a similar fitting but fully sealed fuelmcap  got mine from chris witor 

Cant see the limited venting throught the small hole is of any great significance same as some alloy covers can have the small  hole in their caps

neither are of any size to affect much in the breathing abiliies, but can allow some escape when engine is off and the pcv is closed 

Pete

Richard

I have the same cap on my 1969 GT6. The top section can be prised off and the stuffing replaced. I did this back in the 80s but not having access to any horses at the time used glassfibres, which on reflection was probably a mistake as I think they matted together and blocked the breather hole. Now replaced with stainless steel wool (the type used for silencer repacking).

The blocking of the breather I think caused me issues with the Smiths PCV as it seemed to be pulling too much oil through into the inlet, which was mucky as result. I have now fitted a catch tank between the rocker cover and the PCV valve and all is now nice a clean again, although as there is very little actually being caught in the catch tank, I suspect the actual issue was with the breather in the first place (which is a 20p fix). Anyway photo attached of my install with the filler cap just showing at the top (I did have it rechromed as we all know shiny things make the car go faster).

Ian

IMG_20180523_220659597.jpg

I was surprised to see what looks some sort of (non glass fibre/steel wool) , animal hair in mine. That's lovely and twee I thought, though car does seem to have been restored to detailed original spec at some time (no record of this, though has original bill of sale/service stamp book!).

Dave  

Edited by daverclasper

In the 70 80s when breathers and flame traps were a common thing many makers reverted to nylon mesh as they found engine vibrations 

Rattled the steel mesh into swarf and it go ingested into the engine , the nylon pot scourer type was found to be more tollerant With a longer life 

the mesh is more to block any fire transfer than stop green fly being sucked in 

Its the Same principle as the davey lamp mesh, it  stops gasses ignighting   keeps the flamable inside inside  and the outside outside 

Pete

Hi Iain

As delivered from ebay, it's just a empty tank, with a choice of tail fittings, a sight tube, a knurled drain plug in the base and a mounting bracket.

The construction of the tank is actually really nice, being black anodised aluminium, with the top section held on with 6No. allen headed screws.

I added some internals to make it into a more of a separator, comprising:-

• a inlet tube (perforated in the lower section)
  • passing through an upper an lower aluminium perforated disk
  • pan scourer between disks
  • a sintered aluminium filter disk at the top to separate the oily bits from the return outlet (that connects through to the PCV)

Seems to be working OK as vapours are definitely passing through it (some light staining on the sight tube) but after probably 3000 miles including the RBRR this weekend, not enough oil collected yet to show on the sight tube. I will see if I get anything out of the drain when I have a moment (car is tucked up in the garage now after a good wash). I put in about 1/2 pint of oil at Lands End so currently consumption running at about 3500/pint which I am fairly happy with.

If you want to do something similar I have the ebay link and a sketch on my home pc which I can forward.

Ian

Hi Ian,

Sorry for the delay in replying as I have been away on business.

Still figuring out the best place for inlets, outlets & PCV valve! Where to take filtered air from and when and where to tap into a vacuum. My injectors mask the inlet manifold tappings.

Where is the clean air coming from? I ask as your oil filler looks similar to my sealed cap.

I am going to fit a manometer to see when my engine is in need of a vacuum first with my present system.

Cheers,

Iain.

Hi Iain

Clean air on the Mk2 comes through the vented cap (actually the original subject of this thread). I think this is quite an important function.

I have basically retained the original breather circuit as Triumph designed it (rocker cover-PCV-inlet manifold) and just added the baffled/filtered catch tank between the rocker box and PCV, the principle being that the inlet vacuum pulls vapour through the catch tank as controlled by the PCV. Seems to be working and having just emptied it, can confirm it has collected about 30cc in 3000 miles or so.

Ian

Hi Ian,

I don't want to change my filler cap to a semi-open one. Cosmetics.

I'm thinking of taking air in from the blanked off mechanical fuel pump plate? A very bad idea without a separator. That's why I want to fit a separator.

Why would you choose top over the bottom for fresh air? Most gases/vapours start in the bottom?

Cheers,

Iain.