Feet and metres

dougbgt6

There is a river (Well that is a bit strong - its small until the rain is bad!) that occasionally floods - and when I had my Landrover I would go through it without any issues - but lots of cars would try and fail - I wouldn't even try in the BMW as its wading depth is nothing to speak of! 

I do remember going through a ford near here when it was in flood - an Audi on the otherside watched as the water came up the side of my Land Rover to just under the air intake - so about 700mm deep - the Audi drivers daughter wanted to go through - but sensibly he refused! 

That 'ford' wth the bus in it might be bit deep, but I've forded (!) when other feared to tread in my Citroen C5.    It's the last of its breed with hydropneumatic (AKA Hydractive) suspenson.    With a dash button I can set the suspension height to the same ground clearance as a Range Rover.  OK, it can't do more than 20kph in that stilt-legged mode, but flooded fords don't stretch that far.

Citroens rule!

JOhn

On 15/10/2018 at 20:13, JohnD said:

That 'ford' wth the bus in it might be bit deep, but I've forded (!) when other feared to tread in my Citroen C5.    It's the last of its breed with hydropneumatic (AKA Hydractive) suspenson.    With a dash button I can set the suspension height to the same ground clearance as a Range Rover.  OK, it can't do more than 20kph in that stilt-legged mode, but flooded fords don't stretch that far.

Citroens rule!

JOhn

Hi John, the issue isn't always suspension height - it is the location of the air intake that is critical. I know of a big 4x4 that is fine fording at low speed and power - but give it some (which when its deep you may need to) then the turbo cuts in or the ram pipe opens (forget which) and it sucks water in from low down, rather than higher up.

Many cars have low air intakes - remember the RAC rally at Chatsworth Park in the 80's? Nearly every Astra failed because the air intake was low and going through the ford sucked the water into the engine and blew it up!

I organised a 12 car a few years ago, it involved 4 small fords, good for photos as the cars passed.

it rained the night before, and by chance we checked one of them, got to the edge of the water, that was not where we remembered it being, could just read the 6m mark in the distance. 

Tha would have made a nice splash!

19 hours ago, Pete Lewis said:

So why is a meter not a metre,

What   rules apply ??

A metre is a unit of measurement, the anglicized version of the French word mètre.
A meter is a device used to measure something.

So a gas meter is used to measure gas usage, in for example cubic metres of gas.

19 hours ago, Pete Lewis said:

And as we never got into decimal we just made a jar of jam 454g  not 100g or 500g   a cool 1Lb.  

And we still have not caught up since 14th february 1971    units of ten  Pah humbug doesnt exist.

Thankfully, a someone who studied engineering, I was born after decimilization.  I still remember one of my univeristy lecturers showing us the same fluid dynamics calculation in imperial and SI units - and sharing his relief that we didn't need to learn it/he didn't need to teach it in imperial :)