Solid pipe or flexi

Kevin.payne.15

Sorry been away. Pipes new and flexible ones replaced last year. I think I’ll risk a general fluid swap only and report back if unsuccessful.  Sounds best to flush so I’ll suck out mineral first then flush with silicone.  The volume is small so wastage won’t break the bank 

as shown in the Buckeye report, the mineral is heavier so won’t float to the top unfortunately so expect a bit of a flush will be required

kevin

On 19/10/2018 at 19:29, Bitumen Boy said:

I too had one of the plastic oil pressure lines fail at the engine end once, had to hike a mile in pouring rain to a garage to get more oil but apparently no more damage done.  

I have heard of someone being badly burned by hot escaping oil when one of these plastic lines failed at the gauge end, IMO they're not fit for purpose.

The stainless braided lines are exactly the same stuff, but with a stainless cover. The way they seal at the ends may be the same, I have made stainless brake hoses, and they use an olive. 

The leaking is 99% of the time down to damage. If the pipe gets kinked, it will be weakened and eventually fail. The braided cover will offer some protection, but if it does get damaged, you won't be able to see.... (which is why braided fuel lines are not a good idea, especially as it is VERY hard to find correctly rated type, Mocal only I think)

I used to have extra gauges, and the oil ones were always nylon. Never had a leak.... (now abandoned all the extra gauges, though tempted to fit a 20psi oil warning light switch, much easier to notice. Probably fit an extra bright bulb to the warning light at the same time...)

Clive,

I'm with you all the way on braided brake lines, it's essential to see the condition of the rubber. However braided oil gauge pipe is a different thing. "if it does get damaged, you won't be able to see" Well, I suggest there will be this black oozey stuff all over the place, which is a bit of a give away! :lol: If it does get damaged and leak you're in the same position as with the plastic pipe. So why not take advantage of the additional protection offered by the braid?

Doug

On 26/10/2018 at 08:03, clive said:

The stainless braided lines are exactly the same stuff, but with a stainless cover. The way they seal at the ends may be the same, I have made stainless brake hoses, and they use an olive. 

The leaking is 99% of the time down to damage. If the pipe gets kinked, it will be weakened and eventually fail. The braided cover will offer some protection, but if it does get damaged, you won't be able to see.... (which is why braided fuel lines are not a good idea, especially as it is VERY hard to find correctly rated type, Mocal only I think)

I used to have extra gauges, and the oil ones were always nylon. Never had a leak.... (now abandoned all the extra gauges, though tempted to fit a 20psi oil warning light switch, much easier to notice. Probably fit an extra bright bulb to the warning light at the same time...)

The plastic line that failed on me simply had the plastic line pushed on to a plain brass spigot at each end, and the engine end came off the spigot. It had no barb, no clip, no anything to hold the two components together apart from simple friction, perhaps not the best idea for something connected to a pressurised oil system! The braided ones at least have a crimped section at the ends, OK you can't see what it's crimped over, but then I haven't heard of one of those failing - yet..!

• Like 1