Play in gearstick and no spring for reverse

Danwedges

Okay so my car is a 1972 gt6 mk3 with overdrive and Rotoflex rear and recently I've noticed a lot of play in the Gearstick and when leaving for work today it's lost the spring for selecting reverse which makes it awkward for selecting 1st as I have to lift the stick to avoid selecting reverse. Now I've had bother with jumping out of 4th gear occasionally and it seems to have been getting slowly more frequent and the other day jumped out of 2nd a couple of times too.

So my question is has anyone got any ideas of what may be broken / caused this? I might pull the tunnel in the morning when I get home or may just make do this week and tackle it this weekend depending on how I feel in the morning 

sounds a classic case of needing a remote bush kit

The kits can contain a variety of bushes to suit evolved remotes , beware the cup washer may be cut like a razor this will  soon mince the new plastic cup in minutes 

Do grease  the spherical ball .

On refitting the lower pivot bolt only goes onenway or you foul the remote casting and get a curved selection of 3/ 4th  |--

Pete

Hi I would guess these are different problems. The reverse spring is associated with the ball assembly at the base of the lever and should be pretty easy to rectify possibly even without taking off the tunnel (it could be a broken spring or the locating circlip).

Jumping out of gear is more serious as this is probably due to broken springs in the remote housing that press plungers into the operating rods to stop them moving once a gear has been selected however this means that the gearbox internals shouldnt need dismantling....

I had assumed that the jumping out of gear was a different problem as it has been apparent for a while but was hoping that after it lost the spring for reverse that the 2 might be connected 

Are the remote housing springs replaceable or would it require the whole thing replacing? I'm going to pull the book out in the morning and have a little read up on it

I'll order a bush kit anyway as the play in the Gearstick is shocking 

Thanks

you could have a look inside the box while youve got the remote off (might as well remove the whole top cover) although you will need a replacement gasket. This would really just be out of interest as theres nothing you can do other than check for wear in the operating fingers, missing teeth on the gears and maybe the amount of axial free play of the gears on the mainshaft but if the gearbox runs smooth and quiet Id leave it alone.

I would doubt the selector detent springs have failed its more to be lack of engagment due to the sperical ball springs and cups have 

broken up  the lack of reverse press down indicates these have failed, the hardest job is getting the small square section circilp off the stick 

I reckon the lack of engagement is the cause of  your jump out   other deeper problems with jump outs is the circlip behind the rear bearing has deatched allows the whole shaft set to shift about , always do the simple cheap first

Your old metal cup washer is going to be reusable   of you look at the new you wil see what I mean about it being razor edge

My bush kit should arrive Friday and ill fit that first thing and see how that effects things thanks for the advice I've had the tunnel off a million times when I was messing with the overdrive system so it's a job I'm well practiced at it

Is the circlip your on about included in the bush kit or is it part of the remote housing?

Not sure if your o/d gear stick is the same as my mkiv Spit but I had dreadful play in the stick and got a refurb kit. When I stripped it down I found that the base had been reassembled without the nylon washers etc, just a bolt though the linkage. The base of the stick was/is nearly worn through and I will either need a replacement or get it welded and reshaped very soon.

So I pulled the carpet off and this is what I was greeted with as expected the spring had popped the circlip out of its groove and tore the plastic cup/ washer to bits in the prosess20181026_161204.thumb.jpg.ea7df4a846ee2a094e4bee7efd6ff12c.jpg

Looking at the bottom connection shows 2 outer steel washers with inner plastic washers So I replaced the inner plastic top hat shaped washers with the steel centre sleeve with new on the inner and added 2 rubber washers on the outer between the linkage and the metal washers20181026_161718.thumb.jpg.a28b3c30c143ce27ad53fc917f805eb2.jpg

The rubber bush shown here in the middle link was completely missing when I took it apart and consisted of just 2 plastic washers So no wonder there was always a lot of play in the Gearstick, I fitted the rubber bush steel sleeve and 2 plastic outer washers and refitted the alloy housing, I left the o rings alone in the opposite end of the selector as I totally forgot about them untill I had everything. 20181026_164824.thumb.jpg.4faf8039b7223f1870e3f56c1f988ce8.jpg

The groove for the c clip is definitely worn on my gear stick and looks like it may be a reccuring issue in the future but only time will tell it's definatly got a better seating than the old clip after cleaning the groove out from old grease.

When reassembled I couldn't select reverse as the new bushes had raised the stick so far that it wouldn't clear the gate when fully depressed and as every component I removed from the gear linkage was in very poor condition I didn't want to reuse any of them so with a little filing of the grub screw I managed to gain enough clearance so that I could select reverse without having to push the gear stick to it's limits to hopefully ease the strain on the already worn c clip groove.

Now when driving all gears are crisp and precise with no sloppiness and theres no hint of jumping out of gear so I'm assuming the missing rubber bush and worn everything else wasn't allowing the Gearstick to move the linkage enough to fully select 4th gear as now it's a definite click into gear as with the other 3 gears 

Overall I'm very happy with the outcome and if the c clip pops again I will look at sourcing a new gear stick and a new clip

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Its given me new found confidence in the gearbox and its so much nicer to drive now.

I've got leaks here there an everywhere but nothing major, no more than a drip here and there.

my sump is the worst of it which I completely expected when fitting the paper sump gasket, next time I will splash out for a rubber gasket but that's engine out job and can wait for the time being. I plan on replacing a whole bunch of seals when I rebuild my 2500 engine and I will drop the gearbox at the same time to go over that and hopefully eliminate any leaks that I have, I gave everything a good clean whilst I was in there so hopefully it will make it easier to pin point where theyre coming from later on