Looking for a spitfire

It really depends if its water tight?  It wont do the car much harm if left outside...... The problem will be pools of water on the floors if not :(  Can you not rent a garage off an elderley person who lives close? That is what i did years ago and they said it was doing them a favour having someone come and go.

Hi, Chris regards meeting no we don't eat and this time of year it's just a drink and a chat so even if you can't make it for 8.00pm  you can still pop along later. regards storage a good quality cover will protect a car reasonably well if it had a hard top it would be even better as that would reduce the chances of mould building up inside which can happen over winter, a garage of cause is the best place so long as its dry and ventilated.

My Triumphs lived outside for 25 odd years. And until about 3 years ago they were used as everyday cars, in fact it still happens. And no, not just in the summer.

Regular use stops the cars going wrong and issues developing. If anything happens it tends to get fixed quickly. Honestly, that has been my experience. And no, they do not rust to bits in a short time (though that may happen to a freshly painted on e that looks great when bought, but is filler and rust under the paint) Even cars that look scruffy do not deteriorate fast when left outside. (obviously a mint v=car will get a few blemishes, especially if it is a rebuild/restored. Original metal and paint seems to survive best) 

4 hours ago, goldy said:

Hi, Chris regards meeting no we don't eat and this time of year it's just a drink and a chat so even if you can't make it for 8.00pm  you can still pop along later.

All being well then (if I don't back out of this for the time being) I'll pop along to the meeting then as at the least it would be very informative to meet some people that know a lot more about these cars than I do :)

I'm glad to know that it's not entirely unreasonable to keep a Spitfire outside, although I imagine the roof often leaks? Is it possible with some time and effort to make them watertight? The idea of renting a garage would probably be good, but I imagine prohibitively expensive for me at the moment. Perhaps not a problem though as I'm really not after a shiny, pristine car. I would want to drive it regularly. I'm quite lucky in that I don't have to drive to work daily or do regular motorway journeys so this would be my regular (though not daily) car to drive mostly short distances with the odd longer, occasionally motorway journey for holidays etc. Might even end up pulling a tiny camping trailer (I imagine a 1500 would manage this ok?)

You'll want a balance of journeys - not too many short ones - to keep the mechanical bits happy. As goldy alluded to, there can be a problem with mould, not just on convertibles - my 2.5PI used to get it on the steering wheel, eugh! - but that's largely a problem for cars that sit out and don't get used. Give it a good run - ten miles at least - every week, preferably not in the middle of heavy traffic. The covers that goldy mentioned can be variable. A good one will certainly help but a poorly secured one is liable to wear the paint away and then get torn and trap water against the panels and....

On 30/10/2018 at 16:40, goldy said:

regards meeting

Unfortunately I won't be able to make it tonight :( I really wanted to, and am not giving up on the idea of Triumph ownership at all. Will there be any other gathering/event before next month's meeting?

Hi Chris Sorry you couldn't make the meeting, we don't have any events planned for this month apart from some may be going to the NEC classic car show the club stand will be there and lots of members should be around. next meeting is 28th Nov. you are welcome to get in touch via the club website should you have any more questions.

What do you all think of the sound of this:

It's a 1500, R reg, MOT and tax exempt, V5 present.

However, I've had a look at it and it will need sills. The rear wings are fibreglass and are fitted well
but somehow there are also fibreglass outer sill panels! They (the sill panels) will need replacing with
steel ones (£45 each on eBay). Will need some work where the floor meets the inner sill in places.
Floors are generally ok, require a patch here and there, there's a plate on the drivers floor. Tie rod attachments
are good and heel board, front arches quite good and rear deck.
Solid boot area... fibreglass bootlid, good bonnet.

The car looks presentable but has some imperfections etc.

It runs, started immediately when i went to look at it- will need clutch pedal/cylinder sorting, brakes will need going through.
Rad missing.

However, because of the condition I would be asking £1395 for the car, not 2k as originally envisaged.

My thought about it is that the sort of person who would fit fibreglass sills is perhaps not the sort of person I would want as a previous owner...

1 hour ago, chris.eg said:

My thought about it is that the sort of person who would fit fibreglass sills is perhaps not the sort of person I would want as a previous owner...

I think that about sums it up!

From the sound of it, that's a basket case in need of full restoration, but the seller doesn't want to admit he was had when he bought it.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Anglefire said:

That's one to walk away from. Rapidly I would suggest.

Just been listed on eBay and I will certainly not be going to see it...

I'm obviously just going to have to be very patient as not many potentially suitable cars seem to be available at the moment :(

There is still this one available though, which if it's solid I could imagine might be worth the asking price? https://www.preloved.co.uk/adverts/show/118278627/triumph-spitfire-1972.html?utm_source=newsnow&utm_medium=cpc&utm_campaign=newsnow cars

Edited by chris.eg

Re 1500, R reg, MOT and tax exempt, V5 present.

This is not one to get involved with don't even look at it it would end up costing you much more money than you ever thought it would.

Exactly why you should spend a little more on a good example, than thinking you will save money by buying cheap.

1 hour ago, goldy said:

This is not one to get involved with don't even look at it it would end up costing you much more money than you ever thought it would.

I'm not planning on going to see this one. I am starting to think that I would have to be rather lucky to get a decent car in budget, but it seems that somewhere there must be a slightly scruffy car, used daily, that isn't worth much because itit needs repainting and maybe there are a couple of things need doing. I just need to be patient.

I have also thought that I've never actually sat in, never mind driven a Spitfire and although i like the idea, perhaps I should try to find a chance to drive one...

On 02/11/2018 at 16:57, chris.eg said:

There is still this one available though, which if it's solid I could imagine might be worth the asking price? https://www.preloved.co.uk/adverts/show/118278627/triumph-spitfire-1972.html?utm_source=newsnow&utm_medium=cpc&utm_campaign=newsnow cars

"1300 cc MOT and Tax exempt. Was last on the road in 1988."

That speaks volumes. It can't be MOT exempt then, as it hasn't had one since at least 1988...

"Brand new brakes including front Calipers master cylinder. New clutch master and slave Cylinders. New fuel pump."

Wonder when all of these were actually fitted, if it's been sitting for twenty years? One to avoid.

Chris, the right car will come, and at this time of year some people might just need extra cash for Christmas... so keep looking and have the money ready.

I'm not sure I'd necessarily avoid it on the grounds of sitting for thirty years - after all, my Spitfire was last on the road in 1988 - but I'd want to know what's been done in that thirty years, how it's been stored, why it's taken so long. At best it's a big re-commissioning job so the price tag needs some justification.

12 hours ago, Anglefire said:

Technically it probably is - but even I would want a ticket on it once recommissioned. 

My interpretation of the rules is that it has to have an MOT in the first place, then subsequent years are just a tick-box exercise? I don't think you can wave an MOT from 20 years ago and claim that it's valid.

If it's an abandoned restoration, you need to find out exactly why.

1 hour ago, Colin Lindsay said:

My interpretation of the rules is that it has to have an MOT in the first place, then subsequent years are just a tick-box exercise? I don't think you can wave an MOT from 20 years ago and claim that it's valid.

However, my local post office were quite happy to accept a V112 on a car that had last been MOT'd in 1987 and the DVLA were quite happy to issue road tax (and a change of taxation class at the same time). This was useful because it meant I could legally drive it up the road before taking it for an MOT.

A common story on here, a car stored for decades then recommissioned. My car sat in my garage for nearly 20 years, then my daughter wanted it for her wedding. Fortunately I was retired, but it took 7 months to get it drivable and then MOT'd. I don't dare tot up the money spent, on a GT6 I may have broken even, but had it been a Spitfire, no chance. It's a work of love, not profit.

Doug

I understand that it would need a  fair amount of work to get it back on the road, and is probably not worth the price they want. Apart from oil, water, brake fluid, check brakes, tyres, what else would it be likely to need? The seller says it starts and drives, whatever that amounts to... I've no idea really what condition the body/chassis is in but assume they must be reasonably good otherwise the price seems very optimistic! I feel that as I would be quite happy to put in some time and effort with it and am looking for a fairly low initial cost this might be good as it's missed out on 30 years of wear and tear. I rather like the idea of learning about the car and getting one out of a garage and onto the road.

There is another on eBay that has just been listed, which looks interesting, but is probably worth too much - https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/TRIUMPH-SPITFIRE-1971-1300CC-EARLY-MK-4-TAX-M-O-T-EXEMPT/173621498473?hash=item286ca5d269:g:l1sAAOSwE4tb3F0B:rk:4:pf:0