WANTED - ROLLING ROAD - ELY, CAMBS AREA

Hello,

A friend of mine is looking for a decent RR in the Ely, Cambs area.

That said, he is quite happy to travel for a decent RR set-up.

Having recently tried one in the Fordham area (no further info) which he found pretty useless, he is now keen to get his car sorted properly this time around !!

Any info / suggestions will be much appreciated.

Thank you.

Richard.

Wilshers Garage in Wimpole closed their RR a couple of years ago and their guru, Peter Baldwin has retired.  

Revivals Garage in Thriplow have a RR and are prepared to put the work in to sort a vehicle.  They are old school and are very classic friendly.  They had an E-Type on it last week when I was in there.

There is also Regency Motors in Cambridge, but I’ve got now experience of how they operate.

1 hour ago, thescrapman said:

There is a gentleman called Peter Baldwin working at Regency Garage I think someone said.

Coincidence?

Peter has retired, but occasionally "helps out" at Regency - he is very selective about who he works with.

I was speaking with the guys at Revivals who know Wilshers Garage, John Wilsher and Peter Baldwin very well.

Pretty much from the horses mouth :

Wilshers closed down their rolling road because the insurance premium for the garage with the rolling road operational exceeded the revenue they were getting from the rolling road activities as Peter was winding down to retirement.

Peter has always been selective about who he works with, and who's cars he will tune.

Even though he is retired, he still has a small client base (close friends with race cars) that he helps, and he has struck up a relationship with Regency to use their rolling road to "keep his hand in".  In exchange, he has been "training" Lee Deegan at Regency. Given his status as a Rolling Road legend, who would refuse to let him use their rolling road when he wants to ?

Hello,

My friend has booked in to Regency Garage and made contact with PB; with Peter doing the RR session hopefully all will be well and progress can be made. I will report back once I have an update.

Regards.

Richard.

Hello,

As promised I have an update to provide regarding my friends recent visit to Regency Garage - all VERY POSITIVE and I think the detailed brief that my friend has provided says it all. Thanks ever so much to all for your help.

Regards.

Richard.

I am now happy to provide an up-date having visited Regency Autos in Cambridge for a what turned out to be a two hour session on their rolling road. As I was promised the work was done by an old, hand Peter Baldwin, helped by his understudy, Lee Deegan.
I was with them for two hours in all and the car is now transformed in terms of drivability and available power.
It turns out that I had somehow got to the correct jetting myself with no changes made on that score at all!
Peter immediately identified two issues, however, that were the source of my problems of lumpy and hesitant running at low speeds and lack of 'umph' when overtaking. Tricky to start and run till up to temperature too.
He noted that the throttle linkage was worn and the second choke was hardy coming in to play at all. Obvious when he showed me and took no time to sort out with a small bit of welding.
He then noted that the vacuum advance from the carb was pulling too much vacuum at idle causing an erratic idle. Disconnecting this has led to a better idle and a smooth transition throughout the range. Further changes to the ignition timing where all that was required. Peter recons it will cost me about 0.5mpg in fuel economy but the improvements are worth it. He could not explain why the combination of my rebuilt 1725 engine and the old 28/36 dcd Weber led to this issue but was not particularly surprised by it.
The mixture/emissions are now spot on, I am recording 85bhp @ 82mph and 4700rpm at which point he stopped the final run. The curve was still increasing at that point so 90 looks achievable if pressing on to 5500rpm. More importantly to me the torque performance is better than stock maxing out at 146 ONm @ 3067rpm and much better than the first run recording of a very hesitant 125 at the same rpm.
Cold starting is a little better too with the car warming up on its own on half choke without me having to play with the accelerator all the time.
All, in all a great result and I am grateful for the recommendations made to me and the proposing of Peter at Regency Autos. He is a nice guy and I can thoroughly recommend him to other SAOC members.

Hello Mike,

Yes it was a SV Alpine.

You are correct in mentioning the H120 with 40DCOE Weber carbs, this was a specific set-up called the Rapier Fastback and introduced by Chrysler in 1969. A number of pre-1968 Series  Alpines are converted to the H120 system by owners although the conversion is not straight forward. One of the main issues is that the engine is angled and requires tilting to take a vertical plane. As such the manifold with the Weber's needs to be cut and reshaped so that it is horizontal to the engine when in the vertical position; not overly difficult but a case of getting of getting the angles correct (thirty degree adjustment I believe) and welding the alloy manifold. The engine bay is braced and with the Weber's in position there is next to no space available for decent air filters and many owners go the sponge route - looks messy though. 

Needless to say, transmission etc also requires reconfiguring but once completed it really is a very nice conversion and in essence an accepted adaptation under the Rootes / Chrysler banner.

Regards.

Richard.