GT6 MkII Resto (1st One)

41 minutes ago, Pete Lewis said:

rack pinions 

the 7 tooth 4cyl pinion  gives around 3.75 turns lock to lock

the 6cyl has a 6 tooth pinion ( with the light ID groove)   so you get more turns , and lighter stg.   

Pete

Brilliant thanks Pete I will have a look this afternoon 

I have some new ones at home banded, my workshop is in Fareham a little drive from home so haven’t picked them up yet. Great shout on the article thank you, I never took any shimms out, so will be interesting to see how many I need rebuilding. Time to get the feeler gauges out. I think this may be a 2 weekend job - slow and steady! 

• 4 weeks later...

As mentioned in other post , dress the flange where the bolts have distorted and crushed the gasket

John uses a plate and dolly  i use a small  upside down ball pein hammer and mallet,  but will unsure its leak proof

Make sure you use the short bolts on the bearing bridges or they bottom out and strip

Pete

Cheers Pete just levelled the flange now, they weren’t to bad. Regarding the bolts I took care to place them where I pulled them from but I’ve gone to put the pan back on and in my excitement I took all the bolts out. So 4 of the short ones go in the bridges is there an order for the others by my count I have 4 longer bolts?