Headlight conversion's 4x full/dip?

fizzgig656

Hi all, opinions please, Looking to replace the 4 headlights on my Stag advise on which it use and stick with 2 + 2 full dip setup or 4.

1, Now i know one is dip and the other full beam each side. Do i do H4 replacements on all 4? so 4 full/dip? Is this legal?

2, Any thoughts on what headlight to use? any to avoid?

Ive seen these they do come with umbrella's! http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/400674140206?_trksid=p2060353.m1438.l2649&ssPageName=STRK%3AMEBIDX%3AIT

Am I right in thinking that your twin light set-up works on the same principle as the Triumph Vitesse:

1. a pair of dip & main combined running with (if you have them) H4 halogen units.

2. a pair of main beam only running with (if you have them) H1 halogen units.

If this is the case then you already have 4x main beam lights.

To be honest, I'm not sure how much you will gain by having 4x dipped beams. It may be easier & cheaper in the long run to upgrade your lights (if sealed beam) to halogen units; or upgrade the bulb quality if halogens are already fitted.

I think if Triumph had thought it to be an advantage to have 4x dips then that would have been incorporated within the build. 

Another option to strengthen your light output is to ensure that each lamp runs its own relay within close proximity of the lamp itself. There are additional benefits to this - reducing amps through the switch itself.

I do not think there would a legal issue as the lights fitted are not auxiliary and as such are not required to fulfil certain measured dimensions when fitted. 

Hope the above is a "starter for ten", if somewhat negative in parts ?? !!

Regards.

Richard.

no, all taken at positive advise. I though (not 100 sure) they were seperate One dipped and full only. thinking about it now im not sure. typically ive had it in my mind for a while ill need to do something soon, then this moring the O/D dip went so my hands are forced now!

So it m,ight be better to just go H4 and H1?

any thoughts on the link to ebay item 400674140206. linked above?

there are a wide selection of lamp units from a range of manufacturers

some are supposed to be better then others, I used some wipac on the vitesse6 which was an early conversion some years back and they lasted 8 years without deteriation.

we had all 4 on dip and main, this did contravene construction and use rules , made for very illuminating lighting, and never failed at MOT 

why because they are only prompted to test aim of inners and outers ,the fact that 4 were on  is not an apparent requirement 

so 8 yrs  mot trouble free . 

you could always add a switch to give 2/4 on dip as a option.

but 4 on dip is  basically not legal.

Pete

Firstly, you need to confirm the on / off configuration of your headlights (dip & main); then you will know what you are dealing with.

Personally, I would stick with the H4 & H1 set-up - if that is what you currently have.

As mentioned, there are bulbs out there that produce greater illumination than standard H1 & H4 bulbs; as you will see from sites such as Ebay, Halfords and other decent outlets. The bulbs are still 60/55 watt but produce a more intense light.

I converted my Vitesse to halogen (from sealed units) and used Lucas units with Osram bulbs - superb; additionally I fitted a relay per light unit.

As Peter has mentioned, there is a vast array of units that will do the job. 

Good luck and I'm sure you will receive some additional pointers from other users.

Regards.

Richard.

Stag headlight setup is different to Vitesse / 2000. It has dip on outer, and main on inside.

Best is to go to the Vitesse setup, dip on outer, main on all 4.

Best ones you can buy by a long way are Cibie, but at £200+ it is not a cheap upgrade.

I have purchased a set of the cheapo chinese ones from Bad Boy Classics, and they are not that bad, and a 1/4 the price.

Cheers

Colin

Ok thanks very much for all the advice. i dont do much night driving in the car but any move from sealed beams will be an inprovement. Full beam is low outputs. maybe ill try the H4 H1 set up first. unless anyone else tells me they've got all h4's and find it so much better!.

Guys

BEWARE!  Under the Lighting Regulations vehicles are only allowed to have 2 dipped beam lamps, but there is no restriction on main beam lamps.  The best you can do, without fitting spot lamps, is two dipped beam and 4 main beam lamps.

Regards

Mike

Has anyone done this, H4 outers and H1 inners on a stag?

Im guessing ive got to rewire a little as the outers are currently dip and always on, then inners come on when full beam is switched on. so im going to have to ensure the dipped lights go out when ful mean goes on as i uderstand it H4's should alternate between dip and full not both!

• 2 weeks later...

Right Ive now changed the 2 outer lights to be dip/full ones and left the inners to be high beam only.

After buying a pair with side lights and not having much luck fitting them (and not liking the look) ive bought 2  H4 lights without side light and fitten them as below. the reason for the set up was a happy median between resiliance of fuse failure taking out all the lights and not installing to many fuses and relays. Ive reduced the load going through the main light switch by feeding the full beam by a new 25a fused relay.

The reason for the other relays is H4's should switch between dip and full not have dipped on and full at the same time.

I could do with some advice on setting the beam patten correctly, IE anyone got a good process for setting them against a wall but drawing lines for each light's horizontal and vertical position then moving the car back and adjusting the lights to be X amount lower and to one side?

To be honest, it may be worth going to a decent MOT venue and shoving some cash-in-hand beer tokens in to their paws to have it done properly.

I have an article somewhere that does give information about setting the beams on the wall. I will dig it out over the weekend if you wish ?? 

Regards.

Richard.

Hi.

Is that yes you want me to dig the article out or you are off to the MOT station ??

Send me a PM if you want the article.

Regards.

Richard.