model based threads again

docwad

i think these should be reinstated as we have a vast model range with significant  differences and expertise within the membership with regards to the different models 

prob as before on the old forum as this seemed to work well

• Like 1

I disagree. There is far too much overlap between most models, get too many sections and stuff gets missed. Set up just by model, and 80% of people will probably not look as they have no interest in (eg) heralds. But they will all know how to sort (eg) clicking UJ's.

As far as I can work out, the only viable way of looking at the forum is by looking at the recent posts. Either that or use the search facility.

My 2p worth.

I agree with Clive.

A click on "View New Content" and you can decide what thread is of interest to you; in my case they all are.

If you need to investigate an issue further then of course you can look at the sub-sections as currently listed.

Failing all that, you can always open a new thread.

If there was no or MINIMAL commonality between our Triumphs, then I'd agree - but the overlap is very significant; and as such by running the current system it makes it very user friendly.

Only MHO.

Best wishes.

Richard.   

• 3 weeks later...

i think these should be reinstated as we have a vast model range with significant  differences and expertise within the membership with regards to the different models 

prob as before on the old forum as this seemed to work well

I agree,

I have not been on the forum for a long while as I dislike the format, (take a look at some other forums and see how they are set up mostly by model) it's a pain in the ar** looking for anything and to be honest I don't really want to have to trawl everyone else model information to look for something relevant to me.

I don't have the time to waste sitting at a terminal anymore as apparently I am now over the hill on the downward slope to the breakers yard! (or is that knackers?) every day is a bonus.........

I brought this up in the early days of this site along with others and their suggestions... nothing seems to have changed.

The discussion at the local meet seems to agree on this point and very few of the members seem to use the forum now as it's too messy.......

I'll put the hardhat on now...... :D

I agree,

I have not been on the forum for a long while as I dislike the format, (take a look at some other forums and see how they are set up mostly by model) it's a pain in the ar** looking for anything and to be honest I don't really want to have to trawl everyone else model information to look for something relevant to me.

I don't have the time to waste sitting at a terminal anymore as apparently I am now over the hill on the downward slope to the breakers yard! (or is that knackers?) every day is a bonus.........

I brought this up in the early days of this site along with others and their suggestions... nothing seems to have changed.

The discussion at the local meet seems to agree on this point and very few of the members seem to use the forum now as it's too messy.......

I'll put the hardhat on now...... :D

Are people really so blind to the similarities and parts interchangeability between Triumph models that they have to have separate model areas so they don't get confused between an answer that applies to a Spitfire rather than their Herald ?

Please tell me the differences between a Vitesse/Herald/Spitfire/GT6 that genuinely warrant having their own sections to each be littered with identical questions about identical problems.

95% of the car is effectively identical, and the same answers apply to each model, hence the forum groupings per "technology" area rather than model area.

So for "Model Specific" areas, how about

"Small Chassis" i.e. Vitesse/Herald/Spitfire/GT6

"Small Saloon"

"Large Saloon/Estate"

"Stag"

"TR2/3"

"TR4/5/6"

"TR7/8"

Even then there is a massive cross over between models.

I have just looked through the last week of topics. There are very very few model-specific posts. One about herald fuel tank capacity, and one on a gearbox tie-bar that is a miss-match to the car (probably) and could easily have been fitted to a spit or whatever. The only one that seems to requirea model specific section is about refitting a stag engine/box, and that is because that is an engine only fitted to stags. 

The vast majority of posts are on wiring up stuff, suspension noises/issues and tuning. So apply to all the cars. 

Please, don't go down the route of having 25 different sections, some of which are not looked at or posted in for months or even years.

Most of the people who say they don't like the forum are doubtless non forum users at all, and don't "get it" or are members of a different forum already and don't like the change of format between different forums.

On a kitcar forum (which is brilliant, you get decent answers on anything from building a shed, tiling a wall to making CF mouldings, fixing a pc and that is before you get onto the wealth of car knowledge) and the system there is similar to here, with a page that is split, top half is the last 15 new topics, bottom half 15 latest new replies to whatever posts. Simple to keep up to date, but you can view in sections if you wish (ie engine, running gear etc, just like here)

• Like 1

Hello.

A possible solution (to keep everyone happy !!) is for the forum user to put the vehicle type as the first word at the front of their new Topic Title. 

There is plenty of character space on the Topic Title line to incorporate that.

So for example; I did a recent topic title thread called Click Click - it gave no indication as to what vehicle this referred to.

If I had put Vitesse - Click Click, then perhaps this could / would help other forum users to target vehicles they are specifically looking for. Of course what is ironic with this particular title & topic is that it could relate to ANY vehicle not just any Triumph !!

As previously mentioned, I like to look at all the various topics; from which you do pick up nuggets of info and surely any knowledge is useful.

It's just an idea.

Regards.

Richard.

Are people really so blind to the similarities and parts interchangeability between Triumph models that they have to have separate model areas so they don't get confused between an answer that applies to a Spitfire rather than their Herald ?

Please tell me the differences between a Vitesse/Herald/Spitfire/GT6 that genuinely warrant having their own sections to each be littered with identical questions about identical problems.

95% of the car is effectively identical, and the same answers apply to each model, hence the forum groupings per "technology" area rather than model area.

So for "Model Specific" areas, how about

"Small Chassis" i.e. Vitesse/Herald/Spitfire/GT6

"Small Saloon"

"Large Saloon/Estate"

"Stag"

"TR2/3"

"TR4/5/6"

"TR7/8"

Even then there is a massive cross over between models.

Nothing to do with being blind re the interchangeability of parts, although a lot of people wouldn't necessarily know that a widget from a Spitfire actually fits a GT6 reverse cone oojimaflip .!!

Anyway, its nothing to do with the members in the know, this forum should be catering for new members as well, those whom are just starting out and know "nothing"  about the marques so called interchangeability... do you know that a shock from a GT6 is not the same as the Spitfire ? or anyone of thousand different questions a new person can ask?  I know, I've been there.

What happens when you or other knowledgeable members are no longer around?

Its also to do with not wanting to spend a lifetime trawling non essential information I have other more pressing jobs. 

Once again the suggestion of putting the car specific info on the header of the thread has come up... at the very least this bit should be compulsory if the general format is to stay the same,

This I agree with and mentioned it in the early days, along with others if I recall.

• 3 weeks later...

I haven't even looked at this forum for a few months, because it is a pain to find topics of interest about the cars I have.  Sure, parts may be interchangeable but that is not the point.  I want to see things about MY car models, and I want to see them easily,  not having to trawl through stuff that may or may not contain things I am interested in. 

I really don't understand why this cannot be done.  It used to be done.  It is done on the TR site I am a member of, and I check that about 3 times a day for relevant posts.

Dave

====

Dave,

I'm still waiting for someone to enlighten me as to the subjects that are so unique to a model that they need their own section.

What ever model of Triumph you have, it has brakes, so most of the stuff in the section about brakes is relevant to your cars.

Likewise, if your cars are "small chassis" cars then all the stuff in the suspension and steering section is relevant. 

Would you split things GT6/Spitfire and Herald/Vitesse because of the outward similarities, or would you split things GT6/Vitesse and Herald/Spitfire because of the engine and running gear similarities - If you look at the factory workshop manual for a Vitesse, you will notice that it also covers the GT6.

The TR site has separate sections because there are so many differences between the main models that the club caters for, but I suspect if the TR site was setup all over again then the section grouping would be different.

By having the sections we have, you benefit by having a much bigger group of people to discuss the topics concerning your cars because the same topics come up time and time again on all the models of Triumphs.

• Like 1

Well,   we don't agree.   I am not arguing that models are unique.  I am saying that I want to see things that ARE relevant to me,  in my car section,  and not have to trawl through stuff that I am not interested in.  Its a different view to yours.  And your speculation that TRR would set up differently, is just that.. speculation, and not relevant to my argument.  

Once you get used to the structure of the forum as it is now, it's actually much easier to find the content you're looking for. As KevinR has repeated a few times, the similarity between models means you will be far more likely to find the information you want albeit on a different model. Going model specific means you may miss that vital bit of info you want as it's featured on a Spitfire and not a Herald or GT6 and not a Vitesse etc.

I use both this and the CT forum, whilst the CT forum appears busier I tend to participate and get the answers I need from here and I think that is because it's easier to use.

Just my view......

I agree with Casper. I was a bit confused at first until I got the bookmark sorted the way I wanted it. The way's it can be set up aren't exactly clear, I did it under direction. Perhaps a tutorial would be a good idea along the lines of the one for posting pictures on the old site. What a nightmare that was! Not too clear on here either, but this time I have mastered it! B)

• 7 months later...

Hi all

Just rejoined the club after a few years off, but had previously been a member since 1989. First time I've signed up to the forum and surprised and disappointed not to see model specific threads as used on other forums I frequent. Some of the subjects apply to other models but I think triumphs enthusiasts are well aware of that and will browse accordingly. The layout just feels clunky and awkward in comparison. Great to be back in the TSSC though.

Mark  

Hi all

Just rejoined the club after a few years off, but had previously been a member since 1989. First time I've signed up to the forum and surprised and disappointed not to see model specific threads as used on other forums I frequent. Some of the subjects apply to other models but I think triumphs enthusiasts are well aware of that and will browse accordingly. The layout just feels clunky and awkward in comparison. Great to be back in the TSSC though.

Mark  

Hi Mark,

This was my initial thought, but stick with it as after a while it makes sense and you'll see the benefits of being set up this way.

Darren