Unfinished projects do you ever wonder if yours is going to be one?

pirate

As the title.

I bought my 13/60 herald 5 years ago blind off eBay, photos looked good, within a short space of time it became apparent that the re spray it recently had was hiding a multitude of sins. 

I ran it for 18 months only taking it out a few times as I wasn't sure what was going to fall off it next!

I had a good look under, the chassis was good apart from some rot in the section going up towards the boot, the body had scabs of rust appearing all over.

so I thought it was worth saving and the project began, more rust appeared as I started to strip the car, I had started on the bonnet, doors and boot lid first and took them as far as getting top coat on them, if I hadn't got that far before I found the rot in the floor think I would have called it a day.

I welded the floor pans and sills then came something that stopped my world in its tracks, I had some mild problems with my health after the Doc changing some tablets, several visits changes in tablets, blood tests all coming back negative, I went for a camera up and they found something significant was the word they used, within a week I had the diagnoses Cancer.

bowel/ colon I was 59 so had not been offered the test kit which is sent out at 60 It's now sent out at 50 yrs as too many people were being diagnosed too late.

Thankfully after a second appinion I was offered surgery by robotic keyhole, I had to have a stoma opp then go through chemo and radio therapy every day for 6 weeks, wait 16 weeks.

I had MRI and CT scans after the diagnoses which showed the cancer confined to one area, I was in theatre for 12 hours, the surgeon is confident that he got all the tumour out and my treatment continues.

Prior to the diagnoses I was a fairy fit bloke did lots of fell walking, had a veried diet, like a glass of wine in moderation, always stayed at 12 stone in old money, I had dropped to 11 stone but had put that down to more exercise and the active job.

Its taking time to get my energy levels back often need a nap sometimes lasting 3 hours! 

Im very greatful to the NHS doctors nurses etc and being given the chance of this groundbreaking surgery.

I always tell friends and people Who know me, When you get the cancer test kit through the post, do it! the earlier its caught the better chance of a positive outcome. Cancer is not the death sentence it once was, as we get older we need to be aware of the symptoms get yourself checked.

quite few people including my sister I've spoken to have put the test kit on one side and forgotten about it, sorry for the lecture but please do it.

My Triumph project is now ongoing again, thankfully all of the heavy work has been done, now I can sit and prepare, Polish and paint all the bits which have been removed.

mine will be a project that gets finished! Feel so lucky! 

If anyone has recently been diagnosed, worried or needs to chat please get in touch.

why has/did your project come to a halt?

hi pirate great to hear your getting back to fighting fit . its a tale that proves how good out nhs is when it comes to things of that magnitude. I was diagnosed cancer of the gall bladder had that and a third of my liver out, gruesome story and recovery took 3 months, but I am still all clear, that was in 2006, I guess its what kick started my resto as I always wanted to build a spitfire, ended up with a gt6 though and its been ongoing since, ive just retired last year and moved house so hoping for big work this spring. keep us informed with many pics of the resto. and most of all stay lucky . 

9 hours ago, pirate said:

why has/did your project come to a halt?

Firstly best wishes to you on your on-going treatment and recovery, Pirate. I'm always grateful that apart from various spinal and joint problems I'm in good health, and hope it continues that way!

I'm an expert in on-going unfinished restorations; in 1994 while rebuilding a Spitfire 1500 I started a Herald 1200 estate, stripped it right down to a bare chassis, bought a donor vehicle to assist in replacing various rotten bits (needed an estate roof!) which turned out worse than the original project; sold that on, bought another one in 1998 and was able to use various sections; built the car up to a complete shell, rebuilt the engine and gearbox, suspension etc, had it fully resprayed in 2003 in two-pack, got the lights working, the engine running, seats and carpets in, and then... gave up. 

I bought a 948 Coupe and refurbished it at the same time, my GT6 Mk1 was rebuilt and resprayed between 2003 and 2005, I worked on a Herald 13/60 at the same time (for seven years!), plus a friends Mk2 GT6 and a Spitfire 1500 which really delayed my own cars, then I bought a Herald 1200 convertible in 2007 and took it off the road for a 6 month rebuild. It's also still in bits. All the welding is finished, all the bodywork complete, all the ancillaries rebuilt and ready for refitting... just no spare time. For three years I had no Triumphs on the road at all.

Now I've retired, and within three months had my GT6 back on the road with a full MOT. It broke a rear axle four months ago and I'm still waiting on a reconditioner to send me a replacement, so it's off the road too.

The 1200 convertible was next on the list but I bought a TR7 with no MOT... which is now a stripped out shell with no engine. It was meant to replace the GT6 over the Winter.

So: four Triumphs in bits in one garage and another 1200 Estate somewhere in storage about 90 miles away, that I'll rebuild someday, and a friend has just found a couple of Heralds about 30 miles away that he claims I might want.

I think I just need a good kick in the ar$e to knuckle down and get something finished.

Good to hear you guys are so positive and still on the Triumph trail. But I'm afraid they're all unfinished projects. Mine's been back on the road for 5 years, but after the initial step of the MOT you still find you're doing stuff, each thing highlights that something else needs doing. I thought I'm near the end of the project, all I need is new carpets, but they make the rest of the interior look tatty. Headlining next. :(

They seem to send me the bowl test kit once a year, is that right? I do the necessary and send them back, but I've just received my 4th in 4 years. The ultimate punishment threat at my grandchildren's house is "I'm sending you to Granddad's to help him with his poo kit! :angry:"

Doug

I wasn't expecting to read what I did with the title - but really glad that its so far going well - long may that continue!

I've not had a Poo kit - and I'm 53. 

As for projects - mine is ongoing - and will be for the foreseeable as Doug has said, they are never really finished. And mine is far from that - but that was always the plan for me - I didn't want to invest too much, but have a vehicle that works and can be driven, but also needs some work to make it better. And mine needs lots of that! 

31 minutes ago, Anglefire said:

I've not had a Poo kit - and I'm 53.

Snap! Although I did have the poke-a-camera-up-there last year. Not recommended!

It's great to hear that the NHS has served you well and you're heading back to health, Pirate.

My Spitfire project is still on-going after 30 years, although like Doug's, it's now MOT'd and thus a rolling project. Meanwhile the Vitesse needed its accelerator pedal re-fitted (the hinge bracket had rotted out) but in the process of doing that I discovered it needs a new footwell - the stress of a 7/16" spanner on the nuts was enough to split it in two! Both the Toledo and the PI, which were daily transport for a while, got sold on as projects because I didn't have time to do them (they're both back on the road with their respective new owners).

On the other hand, my GT6 has been such a good little car since MW restored it in 2001, that I generally consider the work it needs (two flasher units, a wiper cable and a starter motor in the last four years) to be "maintenance". It's going to need a bit of welding soon, though, as the tailgate striker plate reinforcement has come detached at the bottom.

Hi Pirate, i can only agree in what you said about the "turd test"  I did mine at 60 and found pre cancerous polyps which were removed at the same time.  Now after annual tests i hope i am in the clear :)   Anyone who does not do it is playing russian roulette with their health....... Forget embaressment.... The doc's and nurse's have seen and heard it all before. The worse bit is the clear out.... similar to  putting in flushing oil, and having the same effect!!!!!!!    Re, projects... After having major spinal surgery a few years ago, i could no longer do one.... The mind is willing but the body is'nt.  Best wishes for your continued health pirate.

Tony

A very good question.

All the best for your health and project, I'm seventy didn't use poo kit at first but pointedly told it was stupid not to so now do.

On paper I own three Vitesse convertibles the red one on right roadworthy, last drove it yeterday, one on left only touched in last few years for bits to keep red one on road but parts replaced.

Third one missing minor parts like chassis and rear tub and spread through three sheds.

Regards

Paul

IMG_20181201_113221.jpg

My speciality seems to be buying other people’s unfinished projects........ Can be excellent value for money but also plenty of pain as they are never complete and sometimes work needs re-doing.

Can relate on the health front, though different cancer. Get your PSA checked chaps!

Nick

I am in the three score years and ten group and recently had to back off large/heavy car related projects. Age can restrict what you do and you have to protect your health as parts wear out. So for me small car projects no problem and I can still carry on with electronic projects. Do we ever finish a project? Probably yes as a usable car, but after that we end up by trying to improve things. That's because we all have a keen interest in the cars. 

I agree with Doug re the poo kit it has too be done!

Dave  

Thanks for the replies, my name is Graham should put that in my posts Doh.

Pleased to read that you guys are doing the poo kit.

I have an appointment to see my surgeon on the 10th and have an xray with a dye to check for any leaks if that shows up ok I can have the stoma reversed. During my treatment I signed up to take part in trials and for my treatment to be followed with tests, filling in questionnaires to show how successful the treatment has been this will be ongoing for at least 2 years.  

I hope to have a scan soon to show hopefully I'm all clear.

I have been adding photos as my project has been going along to an album on Facebook I know everyone doesn't do FB the album is public so you don't need to be on it.

https://www.facebook.com/media/set/?set=a.10210179742905844&type=1&l=42eca9b8ea

Will put a link in the projects forum will keep adding photos as I go along.

Just now, poppyman said:

I like black pudding, so i thought that was my problem after sending first kit off. They sent me a second to do, but same result, camera up exhaust was next step..... So yes the test is a lifesaver :) 

Tony.

Dignity goes out the window, like someone in the above post said if it saves your life then all good.

Ive had probes, camera, gas and a balloon! up the exhaust those gowns hide nothing too! 

Black pudding or curry not recommended :) 

1 hour ago, pirate said:

Ive had probes, camera, gas and a balloon! up the exhaust those gowns hide nothing too! 

I had the gas treatment for a suspected ulcer a few years back, a very good looking dark-haired nurse (female!!) was chatting away to me, asking what my hobbies were while sliding yards of tubing into my exhaust. I wasn't in the best position for a chat up line.

They told me a) it would feel uncomfortable and b) it would pass in out again about 20 minutes. Well they got one right.

Two hours later I'm in Marks and Spencers when the pain hit me and I doubled over the trolley. I barely made it outside before blowing a hole in the ozone layer. I think I, personally, am responsible for global warming after that experience. I think I could have blown the Trump of Doom. Without the trumpet.

Interesting thread drift from unfinished restorations, anyway.

I have had a tube up the exhaust some years ago - and the nurse showed me the tube that would be going up - what she didn't show me - but I spotted in her hand and chose to ignore - was the industrial cotton real that provides the seal to keep the liquid in. 

Was an interesting experience that I wouldn't like to repeat - but if needs must. And I can think of worse holes to have things shoved in........

Colin, to be fair, you are lucky - I barely left the changing room before all that was within was keen to out 😂

Hello All

I do the Poo test and I am Sh****g myself until the results come back clear but would not do it.

But my problem I have all these unfinished jobs but no excuse?(to many cars and motorcycles + a mates bond and now our local group leaders MGB!)

God I must be a soft touch?

Still better than being bored?

Roger