Lop sided rear end

s99sdp

Did my ujs last autumn. Followed all the advice, even chilled the new ones to harden up the grease to hold the needle bearings in place while fitting. Couldn't get one of the circlips to seat. Carefully took it all apart and yes, there was one bearing which had fallen out and was lying in the bottom of the cup. Refitted it, put the uj in the freezer for an hour to harden the grease properly which held the bearings properly while I put it together again.

I'll keep that in mind as thats excellent advice. I'm worried now that that first one will fall out. 

Havent had time for to fit the second one today but I'll definitely do what you did for the second one.

SP 

Can't say I've ever resorted to freezing the grease! The trick is to perform the reassembly smoothly and without shocks. Put one cup most of the way in, insert the spider through the other side of the yoke and line up to slot into it, then make sure everything is correctly aligned before pressing in the other cup. If you resort to a hammer, the rollers will fall out. Use a big vice (or a vertical press if you can find one!) and press everything in slowly and, most important, squarely.

5 minutes ago, NonMember said:

Can't say I've ever resorted to freezing the grease! The trick is to perform the reassembly smoothly and without shocks. Put one cup most of the way in, insert the spider through the other side of the yoke and line up to slot into it, then make sure everything is correctly aligned before pressing in the other cup. If you resort to a hammer, the rollers will fall out. Use a big vice (or a vertical press if you can find one!) and press everything in slowly and, most important, squarely.

You're worrying me now.

I'll put the second one in and get prepared to replace the first one that is clearly going to break and drop out.

SP

Don't Panic!

Sorry, I wasn't intending to worry you. If your first one went together sufficiently for all four circlips to be properly seated then it's almost certainly fine! My advice is only intended to help you, based on a fair few years of experience (my first UJ change was in the 1980s).

I'm sure putting the UJ in the freezer for a bit would help, not just because the grease will be harder but also, the cups will shrink ever so slightly and thus be easier to push into the yoke.

1 hour ago, NonMember said:

Don't Panic!

Sorry, I wasn't intending to worry you. If your first one went together sufficiently for all four circlips to be properly seated then it's almost certainly fine! My advice is only intended to help you, based on a fair few years of experience (my first UJ change was in the 1980s).

I'm sure putting the UJ in the freezer for a bit would help, not just because the grease will be harder but also, the cups will shrink ever so slightly and thus be easier to push into the yoke.

It makes absolute sense and these are the things a complete pen pushing nice like me learn from you guys that have been there and done it.

I'll follow your advice when I get to fit the second one and keep you guys updated.

SP

• 2 weeks later...

Annoyingly, the first one I did went together easily. So, the second, dead easy, no sweat....no......, probably I didn't take as much care so had problems. I think the worst thing, when you are not doing this sort of thing on a regular basis is to do the first one easily then, a certain 'contempt' for the job happens. Then it goes wrong. In this case treat each cup and bearing as if it is the first one you have ever done. Slow and easy and it should all go together smoothly. As NonMember says, slow and square and if the circlips fit into the grooves easily then its ok. My first was too easy, that was my downfall!!

theres a few jobs that give you a false sense of easy, i remember the btm ball joints on my 2000 , pressed in spline idea held with a circlip, the first popped apart with a tap 

the other side was bounced and banged all round the estate before it let go.  

its a classic they do this to owners on purpose.

Pete

• 4 weeks later...

Well, I FINALLY managed a test drive and the harsh noise on the initial acceleration and deceleration have gone. I did about 10 miles at 60 mph and nothing fell off so I'm hoping this repair has been successful

For now....