Dolly 1850 single rail gearbox in to mk3 GT6

Graham C

Hello Johny

Sorry to disappoint you but since getting the box in June I am afraid nothing has progressed, the main problem has been the 90 degree angle drive which feeds the Speedo. The problem has been with the box being further back the angle drive  is fouling the chassis. As I had not fitted it prior to installing, thinking as no one had mentioned it then No problem, so come a Sunday thinking just connect it then done. A couple of hours of frustration of hammering the chassis I put the car away to pick up on other projects. The stupid thing we are only talking about a few mm, but with the box and OD being in its hard to get a angle grinder in.

The advantages and disadvantages of a project car, when I did run the car down the road and around the block I was impressed so not a waste of time. 

Drkai modded Gt6 has a good picture of the chassis alteration that I need to do, that if I can't alter the flange of the rail by 1/2 inch down.

As I need to work outside the garage I am waiting for warmer weather.

I believe it will be a positive change. In addition the cable from the drive will need extending .

Will update when completed.

Thanks for asking.

Graham

5 minutes ago, Pete Lewis said:

yes .......we have a local 13/60 + OD , hole in floor /tunnel cable under carpet   no angle drive  works well , with std cable 

Pete

Does the unangled cable clear the main rail ok? If standard cable works then you wonder why they used the extra expense of an angle drive.

10 hours ago, Graham C said:

Thank you for the advice, will look into connecting the cable directly. Actually lengthening the cable may not be a problem as I have a company local who could do this , called Speedograph.

Cheers all for the advice.

Graham

You may find a standard cable that will work, maybe vitesse od one? There should be a table "somewhere" of cable lengths, ends may be trickier to pin down. 

11 hours ago, Graham C said:

I would be interested however could you tell me what the length is so I can check it. How much do you want for it. You can PM me that

The bag is labelled "0722-60" which I believe makes it 5 foot. I think the Herald one is an 0722-48 (4 foot). I wouldn't want a lot for sale to a forum member - a tenner or thereabouts.

Hello

Ideally I would like to route the cable as it was intended without the angle drive (now) so hence the interest in the longer cable. At the week end I will have a look at this routing and work out the length required and get pictures of the terminals to ensure the cable being offered are the same.

I assume the critical area of running a longer cable inside the tunnel would be the radius of the curve of the cable connecting to the gearbox.

I will update at the weekend.

Cheers all for the help, I will put the big hammer away for now, chasis bending off the table for now. My original intention was to do this change with out changing the chassis so I am please I can connect the cable without the angle drive. On the sunday when I canme across the problem I was annoyed I had not thought this part through fully and came unstuck.

Graham 

20 minutes ago, Graham C said:

get pictures of the terminals to ensure the cable being offered are the same.

That is, of course, an important point. There are two different fittings at the gearbox and two at the speedo. Heralds, Vitesses, and roundtail Spitfires/GT6s have knurled nut types at both ends. Later cars have a push-fit at the speedo and a clamp fit at the gearbox, although the latter may clamp in a threaded fitting for the angle drive. My old Toledo had the early gearbox and the late speedo fitting, which I think also applied to MKIV Spitfires, though it's a while since I last replaced the cable on my GT6 so I don't remember what it has.

17 hours ago, Graham C said:

I assume the critical area of running a longer cable inside the tunnel would be the radius of the curve of the cable connecting to the gearbox.

Graham 

Exactly that. If the radius is too tight the cable will have a short life. a copy of advice from those in the know....

The minimum normal radius you should aim for is 6” or 150mm, and there should be no bend within 2” to 3” of either of the end connections.

1 hour ago, johny said:

I cant see it can be done 'inside the tunnel'. The cable would have to come straight out of the side of the tunnel and under the carpet and possibly would need to be much longer than standard.....

Indeed. The OP said not enough space for an angle drive, so I don't see how there will be space to put a cable coming straight out and then bending ifthe chassis is in the way. Unless the slightly bulky angle drive is teh issue, and the cable itself will sit above the chassis rail (maybe lift the gearbox a smidge would help?)

Also worth noting that some cars, notably the dolomite sprint from my experience, do not have a screw attachment to the od. 

gsd289

And the "washer" replaces the screwed adapter that is held in by the little fork ( NKC43 )

image.jpeg.f1cddba2fe4d6fa38a3003421e5fdd2a.jpeg

35 minutes ago, clive said:

Also worth noting that some cars, notably the dolomite sprint from my experience, do not have a screw attachment to the od. 

And the "washer" replaces the screwed adapter that is held in by the little fork ( NKC43 )

image.jpeg.f1cddba2fe4d6fa38a3003421e5fdd2a.jpeg

Yes, that's what I meant about the "clamp fit" cables on later cars. I've certainly seen it on more than Sprints.

Pete, sometimes I like to try the difficult just to see it can be done :) If it fails then at least I tried. Not much lost, except people telling you I told you so, but at least I attempted it.

At the weekend I will disconnect my current cable and see if I can get it connected with the right curve, yes may it will not work but at least I have not lost anything but learnt to follow the advice of my elders. :)

Graham

• 1 month later...

Latest update, yesterday got the car out of the garage and took the cable off the Speedo. Both ends have kindled nuts. Attempted to fit the cable to the gearbox drive, could not as there was not enough room for the bend in the cable. So only option is to take the gearbox out and cut the the flange of the chassis. Not sure why Pete you were able to fit the cable direct but the drive on the gearbox is only just above the top chassis rail and of course poi n ting downwards.

I have also noticed that the thread on the drive on the gearbox that the cable attaches to spins round making it harder to screw the cable to it. I assume if I remove the drive the the oil in the gear box will escape?

Hoping to get the gearbox out at next week end, as I can work on the driveway and over 2 metres from the path.

Graham