Dolly 1850 single rail gearbox in to mk3 GT6

Graham C

On 07/02/2020 at 09:02, Pete Lewis said:

if you end up with an angle drive  dont forget to fit a 7/16" washer inside to prevent any failing pre load 

or an expensive little kit wrecks itself quickly .

pete

I have one on the noticeboard in the garage, in a little plastic bag with a label that says: "Pete says don't forget the 7/16 washer"... now, was it fibre or copper?

Graham,

For what it's worth, I found the same problem on my Vitesse when replacing the the D type o/drive with a J type. The speedo angle drive fouled on the top chassis lip, but only just. I cut a small 'v'shaped nick out of the top lip on the chassis. From memory it's only about an inch long and doesnt project into the chassis vertical face, so I'm happy it won't affect integrity. I think it's an insignificant 'modification', but worth it to get a J type fitted.

Gav

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Colin Lindsay said:

I have one on the noticeboard in the garage, in a little plastic bag with a label that says: "Pete says don't forget the 7/16 washer"... now, was it fibre or copper?

any washer , fibre   copper or steel  lt  doesnt matter , so long as you space it a bit.

always wanted my name on the wall  Ha 

Pete

Thank you all the advice on what appears to have been a long journey, I will try to Jack up the gearbox currently I have been using 2x2 's to lift the box up. Gav thanks for the information. 

The original aim was not to cut the chassis but seems I have to.

Weather being kind, no government ban on being outside, hopefully I can finally get this problem sorted.

Graham

Following Pete's advice, jacked up the gearbox. Got a bit more room, not enough for an grinder. So used a dremel and numerous fine cutting discs later managed to cut out a notch in the flange. Attempted to weld the flange edges just to give me reassurance of giving some strength. 

Turned out OK and happy, angle drive fitted and gearbox back in position, so a good day.

Awaiting longer drive cable from Rob, next problem 'refitting tunnel, which I had lined with fibre glass to stiffen it.

Thanks for your advice and help.

Graham

Hello Rob

Thank you for posting it, I have planned my work that the fitting of the cable would be the start of the next day's work. After yesterday's work and struggle of cutting the chassis with a dremel drill I am taking the day off and enjoying the weather and doing something else. May take Wednesday off and resume working on the GT6 and get it finished.

Just wish I had thought the problem out before fitting the gearbox.

Graham

Replaced a pin that holds the gear lever in place as I snapped it off. Had to heat the gear lever housing to loosen the pin. Replaced it with shaft of a drill which I turned down using a drill and file. Replaced the horns as these were not working. Strange that horns fail when not used!

Fitted the Speedo cable - very pleased, and it worked, too car for short test drive.

Attempted to fit the gearbox tunnel but would not fit, this is due to having someone apply fibre glass to the inside to reinforce it. Only wanted a couple of mat thickness but the gentleman applied 1/4 to 3/8 inch.

Last time I ground it down to fit, but not now. Seems like hard work.

Anyway thinking of buying a moss plastic tunnel. Seen the recent posts. Anyone have any opinion on these tunnels - plastic or glass fibre?

Graham

I was reading this thread getting myself more and more depressed as I have a Dolomite 1850 O/D box sitting in my Vitesse 6.
I was trying to get my head around what was going on and why I can't recall doing any of these things and what had I done so wrong that bI needed to pull it out of the car.
Then it clicked, I have a 3 rail Dolomite 1850 O/D g'box. phew!.

To be honest I have no idea what I have as it has been bolted to the engine for far to many years to remember.
But if IRCC it does have the modern clutch not the old Vitesse 6 one and the clutch plate fits on the splines nicely so I assume it will be a Dolomite gearbox compatible one.

I might have to pull the box as I fear the clutch will have have 'stuck' to the flywheel as they have been together for over a decade, maybe be the best part of two🤔

19 minutes ago, Pete Lewis said:

so you have a diaphragm clutch and a 18mm mainshaft spigot 

i did that with mine but had a mike papworth stem gear so kept the 10 cut  spline not the rolled spline  input shaft 

so  Snap 

Pete

I thought the 3 rail dolly box kept the 10 spline and small tip but got the bigger synchros and quieter gears? Then the later single rail did get those additional changes including being an inch longer (OD version)....

7 minutes ago, ahebron said:

2 litre Vitesse is the same driven plate as the Dolomite 1850 3 rail and Sprint according to Rimmers website.

Same splines? I fitted the Dolly 1850 J-type box to my Mk1 GT6 but needed a Dolomite plate for it as the splines were different. 

The tip of the input shaft was damaged and I remember thinking: it will do for a while until I change it to either a GT6 one, if that will fit, or get a better Dolly one. That was 2001. Good value!

29 minutes ago, Colin Lindsay said:

Same splines? I fitted the Dolly 1850 J-type box to my Mk1 GT6 but needed a Dolomite plate for it as the splines were different. 

The tip of the input shaft was damaged and I remember thinking: it will do for a while until I change it to either a GT6 one, if that will fit, or get a better Dolly one. That was 2001. Good value!

Are you talking about a 3 or single rail box though Colin? If it was a 3 then that really complicates the picture as maybe it had the bigger mainshaft tip as well!

1 hour ago, johny said:

Are you talking about a 3 or single rail box though Colin? If it was a 3 then that really complicates the picture as maybe it had the bigger mainshaft tip as well!

3-rail; the easiest option! I bought it from a small-ad in 2001 (the seller also threw in a completely seized Gt6 Mk2 engine) but he had trimmed the mainshaft tip, looked like cut off with an angle grinder as it was quite ragged. I just rounded it off again by the same method... but it's been in use ever since with no bother. I've a replacement shaft to be fitted when this one finally gives up the ghost, but it hasn't... yet.

I went this route Single rail with j type OD as I was told numerous times this was the better combination. It has been an interesting journey and hopefully near to completion. 

Sorry to cause confusion/ concern to anyone who read this thread.

Be nice to get the car back on the road.

Graham

J-type is often claimed to be the better unit, which is why I went for it back in the day. I've no experience of D-type at all hence my carefully worded statement!

I bought a single-rail box with J-type about ten years ago, it sat in my garage for five then I sold it for the same money, for no other reason than I decided to refurbish the original box. It, too, required the Dolomite plate which came with it, and went with it again too... so I've been following the thread with great interest and like to think I've learned something too.