You are not wrong Dave, the Triumph 6 sounds wonderful, non of these restrictions and such on the exhausts unlike modern cars. My BMW Z4 3.0 SI. which I sold a few years ago sounded dull by comparison, well it did till I modified the back box, had a bit more snap crackle and pop then

I still miss the sound of my old Mk 111 Zodiac.  2.6 litre, Raymond Mays conversion with triple SU's and six branch exhaust manifold with non standard custom exhaust...  No air filters, just beautiful cast and polished bell mouths. The intake sound complemented the exhaust sound!

img021.jpg

This was 30 odd years ago.  There was a cut out hole in the bonnet and the pipes poked out!  I once had someone deposit a 2p piece down one, the needle stopped it going down into the bores...  When parked up with a risk of rain, elasticated bicycle seat covers did a great job.  I also recall that the car used to run very well in the rain, water injection?

Happy days!

img031.jpg

42 minutes ago, mark powell said:

When parked up with a risk of rain, elasticated bicycle seat covers did a great job.  I also recall that the car used to run very well in the rain, water injection?

Happy days!

Must have been in the days before condoms... :) Well they worked on rifle barrels back in the day...

I remember a device from the 1960s or even earlier that injected water into the fuel system of period cars and claimed great fuel economy - am I right it was actually called a 'bomb'? Anyone remember it?

water in the inlets mix aids the molecules to grab some fuel, i made a pipe twisted round the down pipe on my first side valve Minx which heated the water from a gravity bottle  and a jet of steam squirted in the carb top,  but it furred up quickly and blew a hole in the copper tube , 

so destined for the bin ...it was a daft idea driven by youthful enthusiasm   maybe all misguided 

much simpler was  washers under the valve springs got her to 7k until a piston  crown detached which was good going fora long stroke side valve 

in those days you could do lots to open up loads of umph , she used to tear off crown wheel bolts and shear half shafts , happy days 

Pete