Vitesse Mk2 CV - Boot interior dividing panel

Hello,

Been sorting out the boot area on the Vitesse this afternoon.

I have the impression there should be a panel going across the back width of the boot. This would section off the boot area from the folds of the soft-top when being stowed.

There is a frame work where this panel would / could fit - a couple of screw holes in the vertical metal strips and what appears to be a number of malleable hooks that can be bent to retain the top of the panel.

Am I correct and does anyone have one of these panels in situ on their convertible ?? I presume that if there is a panel it would be of millboard material, although a piece of ply may be a better option.

Many thanks in advance.

Regards.

Richard.

Hi Richard,

Yes, there should be a millboard (or similar material) panel there.  Mine is long-lost and I have since made a new panel from a particle-board-material (to which I've glued some carpet).  I expect it keeps out (a small amount only) noise from the boot area.

Tom

16 hours ago, NonMember said:

Can't say I've ever paid it much heed

Very true Rob, but it does stop Madam's smaller articles of shopping disappearing from view when the boot is full to burst  🙄 !!

Regards.

Richard.

No.

A sheet of alloy, or steel to fill the gaping hole between the seat back and the boot area is necessary for competiton to keep any fuel spilt in the back, but also stiffens the rear of the body tub.      But ply, let alone millboard, has insufficient strength.

John

7 hours ago, ahebron said:

Would a nice piece of 9mm 5 ply would help tighten up rear end body flex in a saloon?

Adrian

Seen it done in the past. But back then it was because the chassis was flexing to much, maybe due to rust.

Irrespective of the past habits of bodgers it's would help reduce rear tube flex.

Dave