MOT horror stories

thescrapman

If you have been in the motor trade, nothing will surprise you. My horror story was when a customer came in and said the brakes were not very good on his wifes car. "Can you just cock them up? It's only used for my wife to take the kids to school"  And he was serious!!!

Tony. 

guess thats is  (was )  a truly ............ ventilated disc 

we had a local Vitesse that sold by a recognised trader ( down south)  with an MOT had the rear wheel cylinders held on with a tyrap not the horseshoe clip ,was only the drum

( now knackerd )  that stoped the whole lot escaping

pete

I was in the Land Rover service area some time ago and they always some examples of good and bad pads on the desk. 

This particular day, they had a "pad" with just the metal backing left on it - it had finally completely failed when the technician took it down the ramp into the service area- luckily the hand brake did actually work and he didn't plough into the other cars already there!

Actually, a mild steel pad backing, on a cast iron disc, will have the same friction coefficient as if the pad was still there!

But the wear characteristics and the geometry of the system will be  a bit different.  Or there can be other problems;   this one must have had a seized piston:

Image result for worn out brake disc

J.

2 hours ago, Anglefire said:

But a bit noisier! 

Indeed, as I discovered when I drove my old TR7 for the first time after the 1996 RBRR. The rather aggressive driving needed to make up for time lost by the number of breakdowns of the other TR7 I was in convoy with... had caused one of the pads to lose its lining. Of course, I only drove it from one garage to another in that condition and replaced the pads immediately!

4 minutes ago, Nick Jones said:

And cars over 40 years old are MoT exempt in the UK now....... :ph34r:

Here it is pre Jan 1960 and is a fixed date not sliding.

Cars registered as "collection" which means over 30 years old and pretty much un modified can have their CT (MOT) every 5 years instead of the normal 2 years.

2 hours ago, Nick Jones said:

And cars over 40 years old are MoT exempt in the UK now....... :ph34r:

Yeah but the people that do this sort of thing will do it regardless of exemption. Most people that run cars over 40years old are sensible. 

The worry I have is that when exemption get into the 80’s a lot of cars then are a lot more reliable and better built from the factory- but then you are also starting to get into the electronics era. 

3 minutes ago, Anglefire said:

Most people that run cars over 40years old are sensible. 

Is "most" enough though?  I don't think so.

Also you could argue that most people who run cars over 40 years old don't do very many miles in them either, or drive very fast and "might" not notice how crap the brakes are getting from lack of use until they really need them.

The philosophy of "oh, it's only done 103 miles since the last MoT (4 years ago) so it must be fine" cuts no ice at all with brakes.  Or tin worm.

Yes that is an argument to be fair. But you also have to declare it fit for use. 

And you could mot today have it pass and then not drive it for 10months and have everything you describe. So most is statistically probably enough  imho

Mine hasn’t been motd since 2017. I will probably get it checked over by a third party this year. Which might be an mot. But if it goes to my usual place I will have to have words with them about carbs and emissions because they haven’t a clue and proper cocked them up last time  

And having replaced the front springs and shocks at least that will clear the previous advisory’s. 

42 minutes ago, Anglefire said:

Or is that just me?

Well it IS one of the reasons I like our cars; no electronics, no sensors, no 'the car is smarter than me' malarky.

I did a pre-MOT service today - oil and filter change, air filter, front pads, tightened handbrake, topped up coolant and screenwash - in about an hour. Try doing THAT on a modern without having to use some special tool or reset a warning light.

Tbh most modern cars are no more difficult that our classics. The hardest part is taking off all the plastic covers to get to stuff. 

Most things are automatically checked: oil level, tyre pressure, brake pad depth (mine have 7k on the front left and 70k on the rear according to the computer. It even stores the service history on the computer - if you have it done at bmw. 

But as you say you do need something to reset the service interval. 

Looking at  peoples’ bodges provokes incredulity,horror  and exasperation.

Despite their misguided use of  time ,energy  and their staggering naivety of material science and engineering , I have a tiny grudging respect  for their deluded ingenuity and imagination.

After all,  the commonest cause  of accidents ( “incidents “ if you prefer) is , by a huge margin, human error and not mechanical problems .

The commonest mechanical failure causing accidents on our roads is  still down to    “ The nut holding the steering wheel“

Quote: The commonest mechanical failure causing accidents on our roads is  still down to    “ The nut holding the steering wheel“

My driving instructor used to say it isn't the car in front nor the car behind that you need to be wary of but the one inbetween.