Stop start battery voltage.

68vitesse

My C3   Aircross auto has  SS and its  instantaneous  cant say it saves much and gives the minutes of shut down for each journey

Cant be bothered to turn it off , as involves wandering around the touch screen  , worse than using a phone 

Same applies to lane departure warnings  that has to be turned off but thats just a button , i dont wander all over the road but its

Over sensitive and beeps and flashes with normal driving deviations

As for touch screen driving please Bring back knobs and levers you  can use  blindfold

Pete

• Thanks 1

Pete is your car auto or manual?

i ask because I hired a minibus a couple of years ago and it had ss and was manual.  That actually worked well because it does nothing until you go into neutral and declutch. So at a junction you are in gear and have the clutch down and can go when the gap appears. In an auto the engine stops and takes 1/2” to Start before you can go. 

Not only that I worry that the constant ss will ultimately knacker the engine or starter.  Probably not within warranty so the manufacturer doesn’t care. 

29 minutes ago, Anglefire said:

Oh and I think it’s Hyundai or another similar manufacturer is making sure the engine stops in a certain position and when it comes to restart - it injects fuel and adds a spark and it restarts. Now that is quite clever. 

Somebody on here attributed that to Mazda but I have reason to suspect Audi do it. You need a GDI engine for it to work and it's next to impossible to guarantee the angle of the crank at stop so the software needs to be damned clever to compensate for whatever you discover it is. Assuming you can even measure that, which requires a special crank sensor as the normal ones won't reliably tell you. And even then, making it work isn't as easy as you might think.

My C3 aircross is a 1200 3cyl  automatic .    sh1t of a shovel goes like fury, im sure the starter is a belt drive from a super priced alternato/dyno start  or such like

start and go is instant , blink and youre gone , silly thing would take on anything and win , amazing ,

its not that clever at MPG ,dont get  owt for nowt they say

overall  town and country average is around 37ish.  thats with pedal ,,to the metal mostly  for the  fun.

pete

1 hour ago, Anglefire said:

That actually worked well because it does nothing until you go into neutral and declutch. So at a junction you are in gear and have the clutch down and can go when the gap appears.

My Yeti has this type of system so it is "sort of" switchable. Also, it doesn't do it every time either - if electronics think it needs to stay on to keep car cool/hot, charge battery, make coffee or what ever . . . . Where I live and my normal routes it is very rare it is used.

The first time I drove a car with SS was a hired Passat automatic, the first time I stopped was at pedestrian lights so the engine cut out. PANIC! took my a second, ok 2 seconds, to realise what it was!

this rolls on to automatic  electric hand brakes, my picasso had one ,  turn the engine off it auto applied the handbrake, but does not on stop start  when there were often times you felt it should do  youre out of gear engine is cut , and its foot brake or you apply the HB

this .seemed mixed up logic, 

one odd thing with  Citroen SS is open a door or release a safety belt and it cranks the  SS  engine back to life . thats disconcerting. as an auto gets its creep back.

pete

Still not changed the battery as during the recent cold spell, minus temperatures, no messages about low battery.

A meter shows a reading of just over twelve volts which is a bit low.

One thing to be careful of on a battery suppliers website if I put in cars registration number it suggest a different battery than if you enter the model and engine.

Regards

Paul

• 2 weeks later...
On 19/01/2019 at 11:51, Pete Lewis said:

this rolls on to automatic  electric hand brakes, my picasso had one ,  turn the engine off it auto applied the handbrake, but does not on stop start 

I drove Vauxhall Insignias for a time and they had electric handbrakes; easy enough to master but I always felt that there were times I'd like to have the flexibility of a manual lever, rather than a small switch. I prefer to be a driver rather than a passenger with a steering wheel...

Also prefer manual handbrake in my modern if you stop completly using the footbrake, not drift to a stop, brake is applied auto release on moving off. On hill starts problem is as soon as you touch the accelerator brake comes off, the other annoyance when parking if you undo seatbelt or open door to check position brake is applied.

When changing rear brake pads you have to ask the computers permission then tell it when finished, who's in charge?.

Regards

Paul

My bmw has an epb - its an auto, so apart from parking up rarely gets used - though it does also a selectable auto hold feature - if you come to a stop n the brakes it applies the hand brake - pull away it goes off. Annoyingly it keeps the brake lights on - a safety feature apparently - but not shared if you apply it yourself?

That's why they (well most I would have guessed!) have auto release on the hand brake - it was definitely there on the Land Rover Discovery 3 which came out in 2005 - nearly 3tonnes of car and a manual EPB would have been a right challenge - especially off road climbing up hills (Auto doing that is a piece of cake!)

46 minutes ago, dougbgt6 said:

the car's brain does it all, what's not to like?

Doug

Fine if you want to be a passenger; I'd like to think we're mostly drivers here who enjoy driving. Some of these mods mean you might as well be sitting in a train.

It'll be a small step till someone reckons the car's brain is smarter than humans, so they'll take away any notion of driver judgement, and make us drive as THEY feel we should.

Colin. It’s coming. Driverless cars are in our future. Not sure when as they have to get over the morel decisions of who to kill in a no win situation. (The person on the path or head on into the car coming the other way 🤔 for example. )

i agree though that driving moderns are a little boring and soleless. My Bmw is a lovely car to drive when pressing on ( 258bhp, bags of torque, handling that makes a sports car hang its head in shame ) but it is totally soleless otherwise. 

39 minutes ago, Colin Lindsay said:

I'd like to think we're mostly drivers here who enjoy driving. Some of these mods mean you might as well be sitting in a train.

Are you suggesting I don't like driving because I like EPBs? :lol: Most of use on here have a modern, they are bought for very different reasons than our Triumphs. I bought the mobile armchair to drive the 400 miles to my mother's house in comfort and incidentally, for half the price of the train journey.  I wouldn't do it in a Triumph, I didn't like doing it in a Peugeot, exhausting. 

Doug

I had a 89 Citroen XM  bit like a space ship in its day, had a foot operated park brake

So you got  4 pedals,  stopping on a hill find a gear , attack the foot park pedal, get the foot braken first then throttle, the park was fly off on a button on dash , so it was fine if you could play an organ

Electric park one would have saved tying feet in a knot

Pete

On 09/02/2019 at 15:53, dougbgt6 said:

Are you suggesting I don't like driving because I like EPBs? :lol: Most of use on here have a modern, they are bought for very different reasons than our Triumphs. I bought the mobile armchair to drive the 400 miles to my mother's house in comfort and incidentally, for half the price of the train journey.  I wouldn't do it in a Triumph, I didn't like doing it in a Peugeot, exhausting. 

Doug

You wouldn't drive too far with the EPB on.... :)

You're right, Doug, we've all got moderns but the problem is that they're becoming TOO modern. I'm the same as you, I drive a modern to shows on the mainland as 400 or even 700 miles is too far in an older car, and besides the modern has more boot space for spares. What DOES worry me is the green lobby - those who cycle or walk everywhere and so have decided that the car is a monster that needs banned, as soon as; the Government is also pandering to these types by banning the sale of new cars from the near future without having a viable replacement.

The general aim seems to be to restrict the motorist by whatever means; restrict how fast we can drive, restrict where we can drive, and now it's getting to the stage where they're restricting how we can drive, by effectively making a machine, controlled by someone else's programming, to do a lot of it for us on the grounds that it's somehow safer. Drivers have never been so isolated from the road, cocooned in machines that control the temperature, nestle them in armchairs and barely prevent them from falling asleep while their iPods sing them a lullaby. I find that far more dangerous than an alert driver being in control of his car, but that's what they're trying to eliminate, and for all the wrong reasons.

It will be a self-fulfilling prophecy - they'll take away more and more driver control, then take away cars from the individual on the grounds that they're no longer sufficiently qualified to drive something that has more controls and sensors than a jumbo jet used to.

And on THAT note: I'm off to watch the end of the world.

Goverment is all about control, they want you to do as your told, think as your told and travel under their control.

All because they say it is safer.

Didn't the soviets say the difference with the west was we thought we were free they knew they were not.

Regards

Paul

I watched a program last night where Tristan Farnan and James Herriot drove from London to Lands End in a Morgan 4 4 - the number of deaths on the roads now compared to  the 60's was 8x less but 15x more cars on the roads. 

In fact the number of deaths on the roads was 5x more in 1926 than 2012!

https://www.gov.uk/government/publications/annual-road-fatalities

I'm all in favour of using technology to make things safer - but as already said, cars now are so comfortable and easy to drive that it is hard to concentrate as you are driving well within the limit of the car, and have little to do apart from steer - and even that is assisted!