GT6 rear wheel bearings

I have a MK1 Vitesse 2L my understanding is that when you bolt on the wheel hub this pushes the ball race to the correct position. The inner edge of the hub pushes on the inner ring of the bearing, this also gives the correct position of the outer grease seal on the hub. The only semi critical measurement is placing the grease flinger on the shaft as this needs a clearance to the trunnion. I am currently building up a replacement shaft for my Vitesse and this is how I intend to do it.

Regards

Paul

Pauls about correct with this,  no verniers or dial indicators , just strong Tea,

even the drift / tool dimensions shown in the WSM dont help at all. as this does nothing to help 

just check when all pulled up by the hub that the drum does sit across the shoes , and has clearance to the back plate 

it should all be that simple ,  last time on my vitesse one shaft had a register to fit the brg up to,

the other was just a straight ground  shaft you could have fitted it anywhere,

amazing its only the force fit of the brg. on the shaft that stops any shift when cornering  or wheel loading.

but it seems to work 

if the flinger ends up a loose fit use some hard silicon sealer to glue it in place 

Pete

Should have said when removing the hub do not us a three or four leg puller, use the correct tool or the hub could end up distorted and scrap. The tool is available and cheaper than a replacement hub and a new nyloc on the shaft is something I would use. As Pete said check the brake drum to backplate clearence, this is set by the lenghth of the rear hub and thickness of the main bearing so not adjustable.

Regards

Paul

some areas have a hub puller,  if your close to Herts and beds give me a call

its even possible  the proper puller can distort the flanges on  real tight ones.

the effect if not noticed is it will distort the brake drum when you tighten the wheel nuts and you get brake vibration.

the vernier will always be useful,  Ive got two digital  ( aldi and mitutoyo)  both brilliant ,   just in case i forget where it is. Ha !

these hub flanges either pop off easy or resist to the end,  

one old trick was to fit  road wheel and 4 nuts and slide/whack  wheel down studs to act as a slide hammer , 

if the puller fails leave it  in tension  overnight.  

Pete

Built the drive shaft up yesterday but the suspension trunnion kits seems to be of poor quality, my fault bought from ebay. Are the poly bush ones available worth the higher price, about twice Rimmers standard kit price.

Bearing kit bought from one of the normal parts suppliers but I forgot the suspension ones at the the time.

Regards

Paul

I've just found exactly the same with the trunnion kits - I have nothing against Rimmer who have supplied me with loads of good stuff but I bought the rear trunnion kit from them last week - the bushes are utterly useless pieces of brittle plastic.

Flange on one snapped while fitting and the whole thing fell to pieces when I removed it.

To their credit Rimmer replied instantly to my complaint and refunded the cost immediately.

I have now bought what I hope is a quality kit from James Paddock… I'll let you know.

To be honest I do get quite sad about some of the replacement stuff out there - just not up to it - but what can you do????