12v parts washer

Ian Faulds

when refurbing my carbs, I  don't have a sand blaster but thought I might get a small parts washer. They retail for about  forty five quid for a small one, and second hand not much cheaper, so I thought ill make one, it will only have limited use as I don't think ill have too much to clean.  The best bit for me its free as I had all the bits.

1 old sink basin, one celebration xmas sweet plastic box, (any plastic box), one mx5 windscreen washer pump, piece of 6mm plastic hose pipe, an old  bedside lamp switch and two crocodile clips.

I drilled holes in the bottom of the sweet box , also two holes in the side to clamp the pump too. tie rap the pump to the side of the sweet box, turn the box upside down and put in the basin. I wired the switch to the pump wires, and then fitted another two wires from the switch and fitted the croc clips. push the 6mm pipe to the pump outlet, filled basin with cleaning fluid, croc clips to battery (doesn't matter which way they go.) flick the switch and  the pump works champion. 

Note in the pic the mx5 pump is well insulated so the cleaning fluid wont short it out, some other pumps have visible terminals and would be no good for this.

is this ok for a blue peter badge? 😂

DSCF6674.JPG

DSCF6675.JPG

Looks great but I'm not sure how well the pump would stand up to any petrochemicals that get in there. I know the original pump from my "proper" parts washer became terminally brittle after exposure to residual petrol and carb cleaner. Not as rapidly as the aftermarket screen washer pump I tried using to circulate plating chemicals, though.

2 hours ago, NonMember said:

Looks great but I'm not sure how well the pump would stand up to any petrochemicals that get in there. I know the original pump from my "proper" parts washer became terminally brittle after exposure to residual petrol and carb cleaner. Not as rapidly as the aftermarket screen washer pump I tried using to circulate plating chemicals, though.

Guess you could empty out cleaner after use and fill basin with water and flush through. I don't expect it to last forever and a new pump can't be too costly. 

1 hour ago, Badwolf said:

Do we have a thread heading to cover useful diy/Blue Peter tool fabrication instructions? I would be really useful to keep all our diy stuff listed under one heading

Surely, in the best spirit of Blue Peter, the proper thing to do is to make one yourself...  :)

Mine was (still is, I've had it twenty years!) a SIP Airstream 3hp 200 litre model; it came from an engineering firm that were upgrading and this was their backup machine that was run for an hour every month as per maintenance schedules. I got it for an absolute song and bar servicing hasn't caused any problems; although it does have a tendency to shut off before it reaches the necessary pressure to blast and I have to reset it. Originally I had a small 50 litre model that performed well in short bursts or else ran continuously so was deafening; it gave up and died one day.