Found a car

iana

18 minutes ago, Pete Lewis said:

heres some reading on fuels , and some comments including some real plonkers 

https://www.simplemotoring.co.uk/supermarket-vs-branded-fuels/

pete

I was very tempted to add another one.... my other half lives 200 yards from her work, and drives her Freelander over every morning and back every evening; so I told her it was doing harm to the engine ie running it cold all the time. She has now started walking to work, and yesterday morning went ar&e over t*t on the ice, hurting her head, neck and elbow.

So: no matter what the experts say, driving a diesel to work is definitely safer.

Well I’m confused, hope someone can give me a steer, I have been getting insurance quotes so I can pick the car up, with one of the brokers I was told it was registered as a convertible, the car is a saloon so very puzzled. Is there an easy way to resolve?

Yes.

Have the chassis number read to you, if it ends in CV it was a convertible originally - if no CV then it's a saloon.

Do you think the car may have been converted ??

I can’t say it wasn’t but it’d have to have been very early on, the car was restored in the 90s and has been a saloon the whole time the current seller has owned it. I’ll get the chassis number checked and the registration document checked. 

Of you are a club member it is advisable to use a club panel insurance co, then the valuation certificate if you get one from club ties in when anything is needed should arbitration be needed 

The insurance data base might also be incorrect, a view of the V5 and the cars commission plate is going to clear your mind 

Pete

• Thanks 1

It was one of the club recommended insurers, I’m hoping it is the database that’s wrong, it seems odd that someone would change a convertible into a saloon, I can understand the other way round.

I’d not given it a thought until the insurer said convertible, so I’ll carry out the checks

13 minutes ago, daverclasper said:

I have the original bill of sale/dealer stamp book, which specifies it's a saloon.

And does the V5C + chassis plate confirm that as well, Dave ??

I think it must, or you would have stumbled on that by now.

Regards.

Richard.

Dave , so does your V5 and com plate have any CV mentioned after the numbers 

If  not then the insurance data is questionable and we can give   Bern   (HQ)  any details and he can take that up with them as it now seem two cars are mis represented,    wonder what thats going to do if a serious claim is made 

Pete

Unfortunately there were a lot of documentation mistakes back then, my original V5 says my GT6 is a convertible, I wrote to the dvla and they changed it to coupe without argument. Which tells you that they know. Best thing is to get a Heritage certificate which will be accurate.

Doug

• Like 1

It wold be VERY unusual to convert a convertible to saloon.

Many have been done the other way (mine was, I didn't have a logbook with the convertible I got for body parts, so used the saloon chassis and logbook)

Back then I just popped into my local DVLA office and they changed body type and printed me a new V5 there and then. Good old days.

So possibilities: it has a DL suffix and was a saloon. Possibly (!) like Dougs it was incorrect on when details put on the computer. Or it was at some point a convertible (tristan conversion? thats a chance) with the roof reinstated later.

If it really is a CV number, then it has definitely had an "interesting" history. But that would not unduly worry me as long as a top price has not been paid for a mint, original car.

• Like 1

Hi Pete.  No CV on com plate or log book.  It was picked up as a CV by one insurer (ins done online), though I spoke to them and they altered details to saloon. Since then I have arranged ins direct with brokers over the phone with car details and not been a problem.

Shall I try to contact Bern myself and see if anything can be done, if he doesn't mind, to prevent any further confusion.

Thanks, Dave  

Edited by daverclasper

some people like to unbolt the roof on their saloon (its easily done and as theres a separate chassis has little effect on the cars rigidity) which of course could affect their insurance so they insure it as a convertible to ensure they are covered in the event of a claim....

• Confused 1

31 minutes ago, johny said:

some people like to unbolt the roof on their saloon (its easily done and as theres a separate chassis has little effect on the cars rigidity) which of course could affect their insurance so they insure it as a convertible to ensure they are covered in the event of a claim....

So some people turn their saloons into convertibles and insure them as...……….. convertibles? Shocking!!  :lol: