Triumph Herald 1971 import

Hi All,

New to the seen I did have a herald a few years ago but just brought a new one and now on the seen. I just picked up 1971 Herald convertible in Wedgwood blue. Not been on the road for a while so bit of a project. I’m based in Essex. I believe the car was imported in 1989 but not sure where from. Any info or local people would love to hear from you.

48CA0094-B491-472A-953B-BE5409171C63.jpeg

5F77A899-D5CE-466C-961E-F952FAAE390C.jpeg

8195C336-37A2-44C0-BB0D-825FE6A2E83D.jpeg

46F2A780-0936-4C2E-8CE0-19359B3EE27C.jpeg

• Like 1

Just a local club by looks of it. Been busy today taking my drivers door apart as it didn’t shut and window wasn’t working as it should. 

Any hints on door mechanism? Got it to close and shut but had to close it quite hard. Took all bits off and free’d everything up so all working as it should be? 

18 minutes ago, thescrapman said:

Camber is bad on that one as well.

take it for a drive, see if the camber diminishes.

If it stays the same, it may be a new spring, or seized trunnions or seized shocks, or various other stuck stuff.

Thanks will let you know 👍🏼👍🏼

5 hours ago, Danherald79 said:

Does anyone know what this spring in window mechanism does? Also help with wheels? Camber is really bad

52B7A35A-7602-4AA4-872F-6F5BD997CAA3.jpeg

That looks like the counter-weight spring that helps you wind the window up, though possibly broken? I don't think I've ever seen one outside the winder mechanism.

😂😂It was a mission to get it all out but door lock wasn’t working and neither was the window mechanism. All free’d up now just need to find clips and springs! Looked on rimmers but no luck. Where’s a good place for clips springs etc? Also need to get inserts for window channels 

Landrovers, Minis and VW Beetles use them as well, so you can usually just buy a length from those suppliers who nearly always seem far far cheaper than Triumph suppliers, probably due to the greater volumes sold.

Mini ones are often all rubber, no felt, but I think the Landy ones are the same as ours, a hard profile in a felted-material. The supplier will know what to recommend if you query it. eBay has quite a few on sale.

18 minutes ago, Colin Lindsay said:

Landrovers, Minis and VW Beetles use them as well, so you can usually just buy a length from those suppliers who nearly always seem far far cheaper than Triumph suppliers, probably due to the greater volumes sold.

Mini ones are often all rubber, no felt, but I think the Landy ones are the same as ours, a hard profile in a felted-material. The supplier will know what to recommend if you query it. eBay has quite a few on sale.

Thanks Colin 👍🏼

rarebits use to sell the channel no longer trading.  shame.

make sketches and photos of the rearward  channels if you remove and refit the brackets as you can get through a lot of channel when you find youve assembled these silly bits back to front , they are notorious for being all wrong despite trying to be clever .

these are pop riveted in place on the channel and you need a short small diameter bush  extension to normal pop guns as the depth will restrict a normal rivet nipple fitting down inside the channel 

pete

On 05/02/2019 at 11:37, Pete Lewis said:

these are pop riveted in place on the channel and you need a short small diameter bush  extension to normal pop guns as the depth will restrict a normal rivet nipple fitting down inside the channel 

pete

Use a small length of brake pipe, about 1cm, over the shank of the rivet before you put it into the rivet gun; it works as an extender and fits inside the rubber and rail.