Jump to content

Re: Hiya everybody!!


HWADD
 Share

Recommended Posts

Yep. It sounds like the car was a very recent purchase, and if there was any warranty then the company that sold it needs to know before doing anything else. 

But also, the advice with issues is to seek advice if you need it.... This is a perfect case where (assuming the car is out of warranty) using a specialist may well have been a cheaper and quicker way to get the car fixed. ie I managed to change the head gasket on a TR7 engine in a day. I had the use of a head puller that would get ANY TR7 head off, and I had all the bits I needed in advance. A general garage would have neither... hence they couldn't get the head off using "conventional" methods.

This forum (and others, some with more TR7 owners) can be the source of a lot of banter, but with hard-earned experience as well.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

2 hours ago, clive said:

Yep. It sounds like the car was a very recent purchase, and if there was any warranty then the company that sold it needs to know before doing anything else. 

But also, the advice with issues is to seek advice if you need it.... This is a perfect case where (assuming the car is out of warranty) using a specialist may well have been a cheaper and quicker way to get the car fixed. ie I managed to change the head gasket on a TR7 engine in a day. I had the use of a head puller that would get ANY TR7 head off, and I had all the bits I needed in advance. A general garage would have neither... hence they couldn't get the head off using "conventional" methods.

This forum (and others, some with more TR7 owners) can be the source of a lot of banter, but with hard-earned experience as well.

All very well Clive but ss preparations is all the way over in Lancashire and I live all over the way over in Newcastle it would be quite hard to get my tr7 all the way over there and how would we know the work was being done?!!

But would a normal garage really not have those?!!

HUGH

Link to comment
Share on other sites

I understand what you mean with buying a car from a distance away (on a recent purchase of a ex-demo car from a main dealer 200 miles away)

But advice on how or where to take a car with specific issues is useful from people on here. We are all pretty helpful... and between us have a wide knowledge base. And can recommend good, reliable places to get work done in many areas.

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Oh thanks Clive welll really I’m part of the tr drivers club but I’ve been locked out of their forum and I’ve sent numerous emails to them but they haven’t replied at all!!🤬

(But I still very much like you folks at the TSSC!!)

HUGH

Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 17/03/2019 at 21:16, HWADD said:

Oh thanks Clive welll really I’m part of the tr drivers club but I’ve been locked out of their forum and I’ve sent numerous emails to them but they haven’t replied at all!!🤬

(But I still very much like you folks at the TSSC!!)

HUGH

Have you tried contacting them via facebook.  I got an initial reply that way but still am locked out.  As am not a paid up TR Drivers member have given up on their forum for now  Which is a pity as it was a great source of help..

Link to comment
Share on other sites

12 hours ago, steveweblin said:

Have you tried contacting them via facebook.  I got an initial reply that way but still am locked out.  As am not a paid up TR Drivers member have given up on their forum for now  Which is a pity as it was a great source of help..

Yep they “said” they’ll sort it later this week!!

HUGH

Link to comment
Share on other sites

At first we thought Tom had developed gearbox problem but I think they just didn't tighten up the fan belt properly!

Therefore Tom is currently in the garage atm being fixed again!!!

I'm trying to find a retro stereo for him with modern functions!!And some tr7 speakers!!I am also trying get a second key cut!!!

HUGH      

Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • 3 months later...

!UPDATE!  6/8/19

I have sourced a brand new flashy retro stereo for Tom with modern functions!!

I have had a new key cut do we won't be be able to get locked out anymore!!

Just to need to tidy up the boot with a flashy new carpet and soundproofing!!

Maybe replace the window seals and get rid of the surface rust on the headlamp covers!!

HUGH

Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • 3 weeks later...
  • 4 months later...

!UPDATE! 3/1/20  

I've managed to get the carpet in the boot!! But I still to get the stereo and speakers installed!! (Just another thing to do!!) Change the window seal straps!! 

And get the surface rust off his headlamp cover!! 

I am thinking of getting some new wheels for him too!! They're the original factory style 13" ones!! Steve of SS-preparations has offered me the ones that have just come off his very own tr7!! They cost quite a bit!! But it should be worth it!! 

As for the key!! I ordered the wrong one famous last words!! 😡 Then the main one the ignition key snapped at a show Northumberland!! Sept/Oct 2019 

My dad went home for the spare!! Which didn't fit of course!! So we had to call Green flag to remove the ignition barrell, the breakdown man started it with a screwdriver!! Lol (Apparently that's how criminals used to start cars about 25-30 yrs ago!!) In the end we managed to get the original key replicated and duplicated!! And now Tom is back in shape again!!

Hmm.... I do love my MGF Trophy!! But I would really like to change it for a really nice R200 BRM!! (But I doubt my bosses will let me!! Lol)

!UPDATE! 9/4/20! I managed to source some new wheels for him!! They were refurbished items from ss-preparations!! But they weren’t in the condition we liked so we decided to have them refurbished ourselves!! 
We had them blasted and repainted at a blasting company called!! Bettablast. Then we managed to source some 180/75/60 tyres sourced, as the tyre man said there practically scarce!! Then we had to fit spacers to the wheels because the new wheels were to small for the new uprated discs!! Bugger!! But finally eventually we got them fitted!! 

And btw’s, I’ve had a change of heart about the BRM!! I think if I had to replace my lovely MGF trophy!! (Which I still love very much!!) I’m trying to determine to the decision between a lovely Scimitar SE6a or maybe a Dolomite Sprint!😍 Currently, the Dolomite is winning!!lol (Surprise! Surprise!) Actually, no I’ve had a change of mind about the Dolomite!! It’ll either be a Scimmy!! (Yep! Indeed!😍) Or, another tasty TR7!🥰 (As a companion for Tom!😂 I can’t really afford an Sunbeam, as money💰is tight!) If I’m allowed that is!!lol 

HUGH

(Ps: I hope to get to my Bluetooth stereo in Tom ASAP, just need to get the help of my carer Rob!!)    

!UPDATE! 15/11/20  My dad has booked Tom into bodyshop! In Shiremoor, North Shields (North Tyneside!) To have the rust removed from his headlamp cover! Etc. Also took him in for his final (mandatory) MOT! He passed with some advisories! 
 

!UPDATE! 30/1/21

I’ve managed to get the retro stereo I bought, fitted to him! (With the help of my good carer Rob Bell!) l Managed to get the rust of his headlamp cover! (At Sneap’s of Shiremoor, N.Tyneside)    And the only jobs I need to now! Is replace the window seal straps! And get the speakers fitted!😁 Yay! Unfortunately, though his throttle cable wore out or broke! So, we needed to take him to our garage in Heaton,(Eastern Newcastle) to have him cured! (As he was idling at 3,500 rpm!)  

But that’s all been sorted, that’s all for now folks! Yipee!😁 

HUGH 


20200330_150106.thumb.jpg.0589567d3dcb01816595ec22a2272e81.jpgL

 

image.thumb.jpeg.703de1271793502b93d69d0e9c431046.jpeg

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
 Share

×
×
  • Create New...