Backfire on the overrun

Anglefire

I had a nice run out in the cold this morning (See topic "Snow"!)  and I drove it reasonably hard - upto 70 on the dual carriage way and came down a couple of small hills (Bear in mind we are talking around Birmingham and not Wales!) and on the overrun was popping a little bit.

I've done a bit of a search - and the answer varies from its normal to a rich mixture to a lean mixture and to a leak in either the exhaust or manifold.

Interestingly enough the idle speed has increased as well and is a little too high (Again!) 

So my initial thought was timing - but I'm now inclined to think a leak?

I've not had another play as its too flippin cold!

Dave as carbs are made up from all manner of bits and pieces , yes  variations and tolerances all play a part in making 

nothing standard or hard and fast ,  variables thats why all the bits are  adjustable,  

Everything from the fuel put in to the owner are all varyables   

Pete

Hi,

is popping the sound you get with an overly lean mixture? Excessively lean mixture fails to ignite & fresh air with unburnt fuel exits the exhaust valve. Over several cycles, the AFR in the exhaust is good for ignition?

I know when I decrease the fuel pressure, my car pops too much on overrun. Gets attention for those that can't see the car.

Cheers,

Iain.

it was normal to shut of ignition allow some overrun, switch  back on and    kaboom,

best done under bridge , or near guys working done a manhole,  

the commer pb with a side exhuast was perfect.

has a reputation for splitting open silencers 

then you get old and modern fueling wont work 

Is there no fun left 

Pete

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

2 hours ago, Pete Lewis said:

it was normal to shut of ignition allow some overrun, switch  back on and    kaboom,

Is there no fun left 

Pete

Pete, if you did that on a modern car you would end up with a dead cat in the road!

Back then if you remember it was soot and bits of baffle that came out. One way of achieving a free flow exhaust system.

You will get thut thut (Did I spell that right) noises, but as we have said should not get any bangs on over-run.

An 88C thermostat helps the engine (and heater!) in the winter, but remember to fit the 82C in the spring. Been there done in, forgot that is.

Dave

2 hours ago, Pete Lewis said:

Is there no fun left 

Pete

I used to find the old petrol transits good for that, they often set off car alarms with the boom....... A jubilee clip around the silencer stopped them splitting.  The best fun was people pumping their tyres up at petrol stations :) 

Tony.

I've bought another manifold gasket (They are only £6.80 ish from Ebay for a genuine Payen one) and if I get chance I'm going to whip off the manifolds, inspect the faces and refit with some high temperature silicone sealant (Yes I know you shouldn't need sealant) and see if that cures my backfiring and seemingly high idle again, I shall be satisfied.

This afternoon I made a bit of time to whip off the carbs and replace the gasket - with little high temperature sealant both sides of the inlet holes.

Ran it up and it ran as rough as a rough thing - needed to apply some throttle - but choke didn't help after a few minutes. Idled at about 400rpm until it stopped!

So turned the idle screws 1/4 turn down and then idled nicely at about 7-800rpm. 

So does suggest there was a leak.

The only this I did notice was there was some oil lying in the inlet manifold - and I am using more oil than it should, so was wondering if that was normal - or whether it suggests the valve guides are worn?

• 6 months later...

Went out today for a 50mile round trip. 

I have backed off the needles (Su carbs) so it is running a little leaner at idle at least (exhaust is still black) 

and coming down a couple of hills on the overrun I was getting a slight pop from the exhaust. The idle speed that I did reduce after my last run out is running a little too high again (about 1000rpm) - I’ve not adjusted it again yet. 

When I got back home I sprayed the inlet manifold with some brake cleaner and no change to the idle speed (which is a relief!) but I sprayed it around the carb spindles and it did change slightly on both sides. Not much but a definite change.

I have looked at the inside of the carbs and the top of the one (front) needle is a bit damp from fuel. So I think I will check the fuel pressure (the pump is a new one (12months or so) and I wonder having read other things on here) that the new pumps tend to over pressure the lines. 

I already have a fuel pressure gauge that I can fit.

The float is obviously another possibility as well as the valve in the float chamber. But they have been replaced previously too   

Another other thoughts?

I don't know about cars but on bikes, backfiring is usually a leaky exhaust, or most often not enough baffles on aftermarket exhausts. You only get a backfire in the presence of oxygen, it's getting in somehow.

Can someone explain to me why a lean mixture is often suggested? I'd have thought unburnt fuel was the issue and too rich would be the cause...unless being too lean means it doesn't combust properly.

You can induce one by throttle back , ignition off , wait a moment, switch back on , and see if you  have split the silencer

Our vans had a side exhaust it was a common trick on test runs to let one go if a guy was working down a manhole .

fool about laughing,  but you do grow up eventually

Pete

• Haha 1