Will I fit in a spitfire

Phil

Hi

Just joined the forum. I'm starting to think about getting into Triumph's. Had a couple of Minis and had a Herald 13/60 and currently a MX5. The MX5 is cosy with my 6 foot 2" hulk in it. Was thinking about a Spitfire or a GT6. What's the cars like for larger drivers. Obvious thing is to go and sit in one but wondered what people thought before I seek one out.

Phil

Thanks for the reply John I managed a Mini with the seat right back on seat extenders allowing more travel. Went to Southern Ireland in it, my backside was screaming for comfort by the end of the journey. Agreed about the Vitesse, that's one I'd forgot about, it was one of the many cars of my dreams when I was younger.

Phil

Its easier to get into a spitty with no roof , a gt6 can be a struggle,  i can get me bum  1/2  in but the heads still outside 

Then im only  5 '10" with a 73 yr old back and short legs 

And it was easier in my vitesse saloon than my current 2000 

Pete

My brother's 6 foot and owns up to being 18 stone :blink: he has no trouble getting in and out his Spitfire or my GT6.

I'm much the same as Pete (only younger and better looking) and I agree It's bending your back to get your head under the door frame that's the problem. A small garage with a narrow exit between door and wall makes it worse. 

Doug

Thanks all I'm still pretty bendy (maybe not as much as Mickey) so it sounds like I'd be OK. On a slightly different note, and I may be better starting a different chain, but I seem to recall my Herald windows flapping quite a lot as the doors are frameless. What's the Spitfire like?

Ok I’m 6ft 4in. I fit in my mark 1 Spit with no problems. Ok I look a tit getting in and out but driving is fine. I have size 13 feet so can’t wear my steel toe caps lol but pedal position is actually good. Ok the throttle is off set to the far right but I got used to it. 

Grant 

After spending some time doing much grovel and shove removing and refitting the 2000  diff not many fixings but all a bit well it 

doesnt get easier as the years creep on  Im having some serious twinges in the nether regions of the back 

Ive had niggles for some years and  have a human touch massage chair, powerfull bit of kit but begin to think rubber latex is a way forward

Got this  from the ideal home exhibition after seeing a large lady have everything shake and wobble ,  it became a must have

Get the girls on it and try not to  giggle   and not spill me coffee  .

Pete

1 hour ago, JohnD said:

Colin, are your seats original?    They lack any lumbar support - would a modern transplant help?

John

Back, or seats? Original seats, and actually quite comfortable; it's the bending the head down to clear the roof as I exit that causes shooting pains right down the spine.Best way to exit is to sort of roll out and keep the neck straight. I think any kind of higher seat would make it even more difficult for me to get out. I'm 6'4, and I don't bend as easily as I used to... this is why I need to get my 1200 convertible back on the road, so I can exit standing up...

Yes! That way by the time your heads out you're nearer 45 degrees than vertical so rolling out would be an option. Unfortunately I haven't the room, stymied by the garage wall or the drive way hedge. So, lift feet out, then body at 45 degrees and it's down to arm strength, left hand on open window door, right hand on rear body work. Right hand is where the effort is, a bit of a struggle. If people are watching I feel obliged to say "I'm getting too old for this!" and groan a lot. 

There was a thing on the shopping channels a while back to aid old codgers getting out of cars, it attaches to the door lock temporarily and might make the right hand work easier. I think you should get one Colin and tell us if it works.

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/4-in-1-Car-Door-Handle-Disability-Aid-Seat-Belt-Cutter-Window-Breaker-Flashlight/192799699853?epid=24028333221&hash=item2ce3c1f38d:g:5FEAAOSwm-FcRwEG

exit.thumb.PNG.9a370903c52e35a505237f854b877a69.PNG

Doug

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Pete Lewis said:

colin  have a pop up vista dome installed on the Gt6  or convert to gullwing doors ????

When I had the Spitfire my head made a dome in the vinyl hood, according to one wag it looked like a nipple in a swimsuit... :)

Made me feel like a right t!t. (Or left, since that was the side I sat on.)

Even cars that have special doors to make entry end exit easier can leave the roof too low.

The GT40 was, famously, only 40 inches high, and some of its drivers found it just too low.   Dan Gurney, more famous for the Gurmey Flap, had a Gurney dome fitted in the door to gve room for his head/helmet.     

DSCN5210_edited-1.jpg

You can see one here on a replica, but they were used on the real thing too.     The actual door of the 1966 Le Mans winning 1046 car tuned up recently, complete with hole for a dome.

IMG_41022-225x300.jpg

It was, of course driven by the antipodean team of Bruce McLaren and Chris Amon, neither of them bean poles, but it was probably fitted for the preceding Sebring 24 hours when it was driven by Gurney, but the Ken Miles/Denis Hulme had a door dome too.

John

I have torn cartilage in both knees now. I did my first knee back in 2000 and since then I use best finishing school technique to get in and out of my Spit and my modern. Much easier on the knees and you don't have to duck to miss the roof either. Mind you, ducking for the roof should NEVER be a problem in a Spit as it should always be driven top-down! Finishing school also tends to avoid the bad habit of supporting yourself by pulling on the A-post/windscreen, which bends over time.

My 6'6" colleague used to fit in my Spit, and with the sunvisor up it was never that apparent that his brow was over the top of the screen!

I think a lot may be down to your preferred driving position - I mean how upright you like the seat back. As has been said, get down to your local group who I'm sure will help you out.

Cheers, Richard