Sump Gasket

Martie

Evening all 

just spent the last 2hrs cleaning the old sump gaskets and sealant off a Triumph GT6 engineit seemed like 3 or 4 layers thick. What is the general opinion regarding the gasket? Sealant and gasket or just gasket? 

Thank you 

This is what you are likely to see; Raised areas of sump flange around the bolts holes, thanks to DPO's previous over tightening.

This is the tool you need to correct it:  a piece of 1/4" steel as a dolly, but hardwood would do as well.

This how you use it:   Place the flange over the dolly in the vice, gentle hammer blows to straighten the flange.

This what you want to see, a straight flange.  OK, they IS a slight bowing, but that doesn't matter.

A mere smear of a non-hadening sealant on the sump gasket, and when tightening the sump bolts they are 16lb/ft - that is only a little more than hand tight!

John

P1000679.JPG

Pic 2.JPG

P1000684.JPG

Pic 6.JPG

I believe the sump threaded holes in the alloy bridge are actually open ended so will accept longer bolts (within limits). I realised this after tapping them to M10 in situ when any swarf produced must have gone into the sump, doh!

Now I have sealing washers under the heads of the new allen bolts to stop oil leaking down the threads....

Heres one and yes if you go mad with long bolts they will come up against the main bearing cap. Otherwise its a good idea to use as much of the threads as possible and Ive used sealing washers cos I was getting oil coming down the open threads....

s-l1600.jpg

22 hours ago, RogerH said:

When dressing the sump bolt hole flange I would suggest using a nylon of wooden hammer.  The steel hammer may spread/expand the metal (distortion)

Roger 

You'll notice that I use a panel-beating hammer, small, flat headed (it has a ball pein on the other end), held near the head, for a limited-power stroke.   It's tap-tap, not beating the metal into submission.

You are right, or course, Roger, but this allows a finer control, IMHO.

JOhn

33 minutes ago, JohnD said:

You'll notice that I use a panel-beating hammer, small, flat headed (it has a ball pein on the other end), held near the head, for a limited-power stroke. 

I had to look again, all I saw first time was the teacake box... so after that subliminal message, on went the kettle and all else went out the window.

• Haha 1

Many years ago I managed to stop with the aid of a Land crabs towball when in my Beetle 1200. 

My uncle was a brilliant panel beater (he hand built a hard top for the Jim bereraq car with all the clamps etc - which triumph said couldn’t be done) and I have a dolly and hammer - and I panel beat the bonnet back into shape. It was so good (even if I do say so myself) that I didn’t need any filler. 

4 minutes ago, Anglefire said:

My uncle was a brilliant panel beater (he hand built a hard top for the Jim bereraq car with all the clamps etc - which triumph said couldn’t be done) and I have a dolly and hammer - and I panel beat the bonnet back into shape. It was so good (even if I do say so myself) that I didn’t need any filler. 

Wow. Is it in the blood, you are maybe inferring?. Did he coach you?. did you practice, before the bonnet?.

Something I would love to be able to do. I guess look at lot's U tube and filter the good ones and practice a lot on scrap?.

Dave 

No he never taught me really. I just gave it a go! I had an idea of the theory. 

This was back in about 1983/4 when the Internet was barely a thing. 

I made my axle stands at the same sort of time - I must take a picture of them when I get a tick - currently the car is sat on them! Tested to 7tonnes at the time. I've had my old Land Rover on them many a time - but that only weighed about 3tonnes all up