Calipers Identification

rougeherald

Hi Guys, I am going to be changing my front pads and discs in the next few months on my herald 1200, they came up as an advisory on my MOT this time . Its a 1968 CV Herald 1200, and I think it came with discs rather than them being added my another owner, as they are listed on the heritage certificate.

So how do I tell what type 12 / 14 they are? is there some obvious markings?

The other question is what to replace them with? Do I just go standard or slightly more uprated, the car is just used for social trips and driving to work in the summer. Any recommendations?

Thanks

Aaron      

The calliper type should be embossed into the casting of the calliper.

Alternatively, are the callipers bolted to a mounting plate that is bolted to the upright, or are the callipers bolted directly to the upright ?

The early conversions, and cars that left the factory with type 12 callipers used the mounting plate, like the Vitesse / GT6 does, and the later cars used an upright with integrated mountings and type 14 callipers - like the Spitfire.

Given that it is a 1968 car, it's probably type 14 callipers, but best to check first.

• Like 1

and if you swap 12 to bigger 14s you need to make sure the hub is machined with a chamfer, not left as a rough casting chamfer or the caliper  can foul  up

ive done some with the spider forged arms and the angle grinder had to resolve the clearance issue,  not a lot but they just touched 

go to brake engineering and look up the cataloge with model and you get a photo of the types eg CA1  CA100 etc

shows 12 as 2 bolt section and 14 with 4 bolt sections   dont need to log in 

http://www.brake-eng.com/Products/Calipers/

pete

• Like 1

and if you swap 12 to bigger 14s you need to make sure the hub is machined with a chamfer, not left as a rough casting chamfer or the caliper  can foul  up

ive done some with the spider forged arms and the angle grinder had to resolve the clearance issue,  not a lot but they just touched 

go to brake engineering and look up the cataloge with model and you get a photo of the types eg CA1  CA100 etc

shows 12 as 2 bolt section and 14 with 4 bolt sections   dont need to log in 

http://www.brake-eng.com/Products/Calipers/

pete

thanks pete, they are really quite different in appearance too, i think mine are type 14 based on these pictures but i will check to be sure.

Any advice on Pads / discs?

Aaron