Brake Fluid

iana

No real problems with shoes kissing the drum ,

easy .....poke finger through the wheel onto the drum if its sticks and makes sizzling noise    Its too hot  , 

no  but a simple run with low brake use and carefully feel for  heat gentle  rubbing will warm , but not heat,  

If  when  you spin the wheel and you can hear the shush   shush of the shoes ,, no worries 

Pete

Hmm, having the GT6 NOT self adjusters I have to take the drum off, adjust, replace the drum and wheel, spin and apply the brakes. When you do the adjustment you put the shoes off centre, so when you get to the spin bit it can appear tight. Braking re-centralizes the shoes, and  "Oh, it's not binding" so you try again. Tedious, but you don't want to be doing this method too often, so you want to get it as close as you can. A 20 minute job, Pete's 2 minute is far too easy for you manual adjusters! :angry: 

Dave, Why are your axel stands in the loft?!!  :wacko:

Doug

Some of the Lockheed self adjusters have a hole in the drum so you can slacken off the mechanism to take the drums off.

Thinks!!!  Maybe a hole drilled in the Girling GT6 brake drum so you can do the opposite. i.e Adjust up the brakes?

No too sure about that one, but maybe worth a thought.

Dave

• Haha 1

12 hours ago, dave.vitesse said:

Some of the Lockheed self adjusters have a hole in the drum so you can slacken off the mechanism to take the drums off.

Thinks!!!  Maybe a hole drilled in the Girling GT6 brake drum so you can do the opposite. i.e Adjust up the brakes?

No too sure about that one, but maybe worth a thought.

Dave

I have drilled a hole in my dolly sprint brake drums (on the face so it can line up with the self-adjusters) and it makes manual adjustment easy if required. Aldo for slackening off....