Lead replacement /additive

Robin

1 hour ago, RogerH said:

I was in Moss -- Europe this morning and noticed that they sell the Dynolite range of oils and stuff.

They do a VSR £8 for 250 litres of fuel  and an octaone booster + VSR for £10 for same quantity

Don't use it myself but it is there.

Roger

Thats not a bad price although Dynolite wasnt one of the VSR additives approved by FBHVC (however apparently all the various companies invited for testing had to pay for it themselves so some judged it to be uneconomical and declined.....)

Cant find much info on Dynolite as to exactly what the lead substitute is (not supposed to mix different types) but have noticed that the product with octane booster works out rather more expensive than I thought as its 250ml for only 40L of fuel (25p a litre!). The Millers and Castrol equivalents at around 20 quid to treat 500L are much more economical....

Errr this ..lead memory.. I dont buy it, never seen any scientific proof bar what punted on forums.

I no JK kem oot with this yonks ago, but how did He know then,

nee rests done or owt, not even a lead replacement test.

proof if any one can give it

As for the valves dont wear, as can be seen by the  mines ok brigade,

yes thats true, if yer pintlin aboot  all the time,

give it some stik an see what happens, well documented  on forums

the tests done on VSR by the Federation of wot ever said that under 6K revs, wear was not a problem,

after this 4K, wear was a problem, esp if it wer WOT an high rpms.use { foot,t,floor }

• Like 1

The way you drive, Marcus, no amount of lead memory would preserve valve seats!

But a weekend user, who gos on 'runs' could probably survive on it for years.

Anyone would even touches the seats with a valve grinding paste will lose any lead memory at once.     The safest solution is steel inserts, and at the price of lead replacement, they will pay for themselves quickly.

John

7 minutes ago, Badwolf said:

How long would it have taken to build up 'lead memory' from the point of grinding in the valve seats. My engine was rebuilt in 1985 and would have covered maybe 7,000 miles before the demise of leaded petrol.

The 'lead memory' is simply a contaminated surface that stops the valve and seat welding together each time they close.

With higher revs they close quicker and the impact forces are increased.

The surface of both valve and seat get a microscopic coating of lead.

In theory the contamination starts immediately so the lower of the damaging revs become less damaging.

As the contamination increases then so the protection against higher revs improves. 

Sadly there is a limit to how high the revs should go.

So, simple touring or shopping trips could see 10,000's miles use before the contamination is burnt or hammered away.

Roger

my hairy 1600 had recut seats and lapped vavles  and driven like the wind for 14 years without a slightest sign of any recession and never a burnt valve.  thats just on 97+    and def no addatives   i did plan exhaust inserts  but sold her and no idea if shes still raring to go or tootles 

my experience with many cars we keep rolling is theres more talk and myth that failures 

fill er up, drive and smile 

Pete