2FC/2 electronics

Unkel Kunkel

This applies to  modern cars and their electronics.

Cars are increasingly advertised as having  such things as “connectivity”and a large screen on the dash which will tell you anything you might  ever - or never, wish to know.Whilst looking at this the info, the electronic crash avoidance system will prevent you ploughing into the car in front.If the worst happens  it can connect you directly to the AA,ambulance (or the solicitor or undertaker of your choice? -you read it here first).

The trusty fail-safe mechanical handbrake  with a 100 plus year history  of commendable  safety is replaced by an electronic device which is  great for hillstarts but offers no other advantage   and your car can run you over if you try to work in it with out reading  all the precautions in the manual.

Yesterday, over coffee, 3 friends related stories of flashing warning lights,cars going into limp home mode and other bizarre, exasberating,  inconvenient problems.These seemed to range from the expensive and/or undiagnosable .to the miraculously disappearing.

It is a paradox.Cars  now last wonderfully well  mechanically.The helpless   drivers on the hard shoulder are not there because of the problems we , or our fathers, experienced.They are more likely to be there  as a result of their  grandiose ,complex and largely superflous  electronics.

Too f ... clever by half ,   

or  ... 2FC/2

My new modern - a six month old Skoda Superb estate - has what you describe- and more! 

I have had cars with electric parking brakes for about 9 or 10 years and usually give no trouble as long as they are looked after (my Land Rover did need a fair bit of maintenance on it - but then it did get used off road a fair bit so it took some abuse) 

The crash avoidance on the Skoda takes a bit of getting used to - it did an emergency stop the other day because it thought I was a bit too close to the car turning right into a side road!

the active cruise is very good too - though it can get fooled when the car in front slips into a filter lane to turn right say and the system maintains track in it so you slow down too

bht can be great round town as all you have to do half the time is steer - with the occasional tap on the throttle to get it to move if you have been stationary for more than a second or so. 

But everything being put on cars today is all gearing up to the new regs coming in in 2022 when gps/data base speed limiters and the like become law. 

Modern cars are so easy to drive today they are boring enough without adding more automation to make the driver less important. But still liable non the less 

You need crash avoidance whilst fighting the touch screen to find  and change the heater,

Whereas as knob and lever can be twiddle blind

All in more hazardous than playing with the phone

Elec park brakes are ok  but why not applied when out of gear and stop start has engine off, is it designed for lazy driving only using the foot brake for short stops .

I don't think the software will be the main issue - the main issue will be one of ethics. In a 50/50 situation, who does the car kill? Swerve to avoid the child coming across the road between parked cars and have a head on with the vehicle coming the other way - or kill the child? 

The main reason for epb’s is to reduce the space on the centre console thing to fit more stuff. 

Like the essential start/stop disable button. Really must try and update the config to disable it permanently. Makes almost no difference to fuel economy and emissions and in my view increases wear and tear on just about everything else. 

9 hours ago, Vanadium23 said:

The trusty fail-safe mechanical handbrake  with a 100 plus year history  of commendable  safety is replaced by an electronic device which is  great for hillstarts but offers no other advantage

Actually it does have another advantage...just for the manufacturer, not the user.

With a mechancial hand brake someone needs to run cables through brackets on the chassis and connect them together/to the hand brake leaver/to the brake calipers/drums.
With an electronic hand brake someone needs to plug a wire hanging in the loom to the button in the cabin and to the brake calipers/drums.

One takes minutes, the other takes seconds and means the same worker can move on to another job while the car's still in their sector of the production line that would otherwise have to be done by a second worker.

I'm not sure that is correct - fitting the EPB module to the underside of the car, is no quicker than fitting a handbrake lever and cables - and there are still cables to run from the module to the wheels and setting up. EPB adjustment is critical to the longevity of it - get it wrong and the guts of the module get ripped apart as they over run the worm drive and strip it.