Fitting a Stereo

coxy123

Ive bought a modern stereo for my spitfire. Been attempting to fit it but having looked at the wiring behind the dashboard now realize it is more complicated than I thought. I have 2 live purple wires that come together with a spade connection. I thought there would be a live wire, a switched live, an earth and the speaker wires. Any assistance would be appreciated.

The cars came with a radio feed, which is just a switched live. That was all that was required back then! Can't remember the colour offhand, maybe white/pink?? but will be on the wiring diagram. Radios were earthed via their case. But you will need to run a new earth cable. And a new perm live, possibly from the fusebox? but use appropriate inline fuses for the supplies.

I think you’re right, it was white / pink or white / red for the radio connection; earth was just strung from the unit to any metal point. Other cars used the spare terminal on the ignition switch; not sure if it carried over into the later ones? 

Speakers were often just hung under the dashboard within inches of the head unit so no real cabling required. 

You’ll probably have to route your own, under carpets and well away from any sharp edges where they may get damaged, and as Clive says use a good in-line fuse on the power cable. 

You should find a white and pink cable with a bullet connector sleeve which will give you the switched live and you can find a black earth possibly on an eyelet on the back of one of the instruments. The purple will probably be an unswitched live that among other things feeds the interior light.

purple   generally  permanent live  horn, interior lights  etc

white pink is the ballasted ignition feed to drop the coil voltage ..dont use this

the white pink will be fed from a short white pigtail coming off the ignition switch you can join the switched to this white, or any white they are all ignition controlled,  there may be a secondary switch position on the ign to allow a key selected  auxilliary feed, so you can use radio switched but ignition off.

white red normally used for starter solenoid function  , dont use this

you can pick up switched and non switched from the piggy back terminals of the fuse box

Pete

• Like 1

its a carefully designed rats nest,  which may need some sticky plasters 

to achieve a result

you may need a rope and good lamp.

the general trick is to hang upside down from  the roof truss and with varifocals upside down peer in with a torch ,

shaving knuckles and jabbing pointy bits on the way 

ha !

Pete