going electric

daveg

They featured these on The Click last week (BBC News). What was quite interesting was that they used salvaged motors etc (yes they're already in scrapyards) and most jobs were a one off. They leave all the running gear and often the gearbox from the original. Good for keeping old cars alive and relevant but not sure about the supply of unusual parts for when the running gear needs doing. 

Quite tempted to sell my petrol engine and try it, we all need to do our bit to clean up the air. 

25 minutes ago, thescrapman said:

i think most are actually turned into power stores as part of the electricity grid

They are as they work fine for that for years - just no good in cars due to the reduced capacity.

Some big firms are looking at having hulking great containers full of them and charge them at night and use the power in the day - and also feed the grid if needed. I know of one site I go to that is seriously looking into them - but although I think they are free to get sited, not free to install and there are a few caveats that they are looking at as I think surity of supply is one thing they loose......

Didn't I see a report about a Tesla battery going up in flames and it burned so hot the fire team couldn't extinguish it and left it to burn itself out? Could be interesting if a container load of them, all linked together had problems. Last year when a school's solar panels went up in flames they decided not to replace them.

Yes. I saw that one. Very brave pushing it outside, so were his dogs. Also saw the footage from the German burnout. Not really encouraging me but I suppose it's a sign of of the modern era. I feel a bit like Uncle Bulgaria of the Wombles. "He could remember the days when he wasn't behind the times" !!

14 hours ago, thescrapman said:

There is a massive battery store at Leighton Buzard, covering for a flaw in the national grid I think.

There must be a bl**dy greater inverter to go with it. Interesting.

Trent gas turbines normally provide the backup and are used to meet the peak time demand. But are very fuel hungry.

Back in the 1960's a Herald was used as an electric car test-bed. Most of the car was used to carry the batteries.

Dave

the HEP station at Dinorwig is the usual place they use to pick up the peak demand - they have one generator sat spinning off load and can be at full load in 12 seconds - I think pumping up the hill at full chat to generating takes about a minute.

https://www.electricmountain.co.uk/Dinorwig-Power-Station

Its a very interesting visit to be fair.