1500 Spitfire Clutch

dougbgt6

My brother bought a Spitfire 18 months ago. It had reasonable body and a running engine, but we couldn't select gear. We stripped it down and found a new clutch plate installed the wrong way round. :o  We put it back together with new Master and slave cylinders and could select gears and move within the garage. Next we started on the brakes, seats, electrics.

We went to the SEM and he had a heart attack, too much excitement, obviously.  He was out of action for a while, but he's now back on the trail and had an MOT's booked for the Spitfire on Sunday.

I went round today to oil his trunions.  So everything checked, everything ready, he started engine and couldn't get it in gear. :( We sadly decided the tunnel would have to come off to bleed the clutch. Did that, then we could get it crunchingly into 1st & 2nd, but no higher. Bled it again, couldn't select anything. 

We can change gear with the engine off.

Through a gap in the bell housing we can see the actuating lever being pushed forward perhaps 3/4". 

We have the feeling that the clutch mechanism is on the edge of working, so what is it? The lever pivot worn? the Thrust bearing worn? Why was the clutch originally changed?

Doug

You can get to the slave from the underside , , its always best to remove the cyl, tip it to get the bleed up high! And push the piston right back down in the cylinder to expell all trapped air  refit amd pump it back to get a stroke

There is a chance the disc has been bent due to reversed fitting, if the springs contact the flywheel  bolts and the cover clamp load 

dishes the disc 

pete

Colin, Clive, I've had stuck clutch and I'm familiar with the method, I've done it on my GT6. We had the Spitfire engine running for about 20 minutes and tried it a few times, no joy. At one point after we bled the system we could change gear with the engine running, although with some grinding and crunching. Further bleeding and it wouldn't have it. Which makes me think it's something wrong with the hydraulics or the lever mechanism.

Doug

As its only been apart to swap the disc a few months back its not going to be stuck

If you look down  onto  the o/s  clutch hsg you  can  see the  8mm hole  dan mentions the  pin dropping out  the pin sits about a few mm below the casting 

Think this  gives a hard pedal as the throwout mechanism bottoms out .