GT6 bell housing material

Graham C

Hello

Excellent I thought it was, I am currently converting a Gt6 to a 1850 Dolly gearbox and J type overdrive. So I thought of having the bell housing  welded to sort the selector rod issue, possibly having a seal tube welded in position for the selector rod to fit into. I am taking picture and will add to another post to collect information for others.

Graham

Have you considered epoxy metal to bond in the seal tube? If the aluminium is well prepared Ive found it a very effective way of joining it and much easier to carry out than welding. Course its not as strong but in this application I would have thought it more than sufficient.... 

Seen this done. In fact I almost had to do it recently...

Make a "top hat" with a short length of tube welded/brazed or even bonded with a strong epoxy to a bit of sheet steel. Seal the other end with steel sheet, same method.

This can be attached using small setscrews/machine screws and use some hylomar or silicon sealant. 

It doesn't need anything complex.

The dolly 1850 (3 rail) box has a bit already cast to accept it, but then a 1mm or so gap between the bellhousing and actual box. most odd. But a shim in the gap coated with sealant either side has been successful.  That used a 1/2" drill.

Been ages since I have seen a vitesse bellhousing, but if memory serves me the area can easily be made suitable. 

Fitted a three rail Dolomite box with J type to my Vitesse, same bellhousing as GT6 l think, all l had to do was swop the bellhousing dumping the Dolomite one.

From the questions assume you have a single rail box, have used JB Weld original on a project, non critical area, to avoid welding because of heat distortion.

Regards

Paul

I can see the welding being quite difficult to get correct and of course much harder to dismantle if its not correct. I think the selector shaft tube will need to seal against the face of the single rail casing (using its normal gasket) and ideally you want to achieve this without having to machine/file the tube flat on the sealing face of the bell housing. You could do this by cutting the necessary clearance hole in the bell housing, preparing the tube with a perfect true end and then bonding it in place while the bell housing is sitting on a completely flat surface....

• 2 weeks later...

I have progressed with the bell housing and actually had an aluminium tube fitted/welded. I have taken various pictures of the whole task and will write up what I did. Fortunately I found a small engineering workshop who were prepared to work with me to carry out the welding.  I prepared the hole first then it took them nearly 1 hour of trial and error to get it done, this included an additional plate to cover and stop another shaft protruding from the gearbox. I took the gearbox and bell housing to the engineering shop so we tacked the tube in place at first when the bell housing was attached to the gearbox.

Hoping to get the gearbox fitted this weekend and get final pictures of the installation.

By the way you can get a copy of the BS 1490  on line which confirms that ON04 can be welded.

Graham

Edited by Graham C
Updated with extra information

The Vit/GT6 bell housing certainly can be welded very effectively

1241275485_Bellhousingweld2.jpg.dda41b1a59debb250be9ba802d996d94.jpg

This is the engine side 30mm worth of a Vitesse bell housing welded to a cut-down Toyota Supra bell housing.  Guy who welded it reckoned the Triumph part was less troublesome that the Toyota part!

End result

656605533_completedtoyotabox1r.JPG.cecfb60f9507cadd149e429456ebd4a5.JPG

Nick

14 hours ago, Adrian Saunders said:

How do you know that? I’m intrigued. 

Hi Adrian,

I simply popped - triumph gearbox material - into Google and was lucky to get a hit on the TRiuph 2000 site.

The material will be pretty close for all boxes with in a manufacturing group. It costs a lot of money to fine tune spec's for production.

Roger