New website jumbled

Adrian

I agree with Pete, who I didn't realise was a tech guru as well as mechanical. I still have problems with the moving graphic background on some/one page, no 'home' key (have to go to 'the club' or click the site 'mast head' to get back to the tssc.org.uk entry page) and there is no search routine that I can find, but these are personal niggles. The new layout is a great improvement.

Look guys, maybe you don't remember that the TSSC website went down for ?two years? and the message board took even longer to come back, because the then CoM considered that this InterWeb thing was Ye Worke of Ye Deville, and not the Club's shopwindow for the world.        It's resurrection was piecemeal and done as ever on the cheap by volunteers.      It still is, but in Tom now you have a skillful webmaster with real enthusiam.    No doubt he'll be 'grateful' to know of problems, but not niggles, at least not until later.  Give him some, not slack, he doesn't need that, but time. 

For instance, Sideways is also run on love of the game by a tech professional, Craig.    The last time he did anything major to the board it took a week., and I believe he took a week's leave to do it.     These things are not rocket science, that's simple, they are as slippery as quantum chromodynamics!

John

They knew the problem but didnt tell anyone ,  I work  bit different to that..

The  previous site cost a fortune , not volunteers run and still run by  Lynx design,  I was on com when we decided on who and how much.

This is a revamp to brighten and add clarity,  toms quite open if you  spot a snag let him know 

Any comment on  here I fwd to him so he is aware

All part of  the service......what !!!

Pete

I used to know a computer systems engineer. He wrote two web sites for me. It took an eternity for him to get them to his satisfaction so I know the difficulties, time involved and problems of getting it, not just done, but right. His view was always, test it on the end user before release because if anyone can break it they will. He was also of the opinion that a computer expert knew how to do it, but the user was the one to find the flaws. I am full of admiration for the writers of the revised site, it is not something I would even think of embarking on. Any comment on my part is as a user and are personal likes/dislikes. If they help in the future I am pleased, if they don't.. I can live with that. As for the outage of the sites two yesrs ago, that was before my time but I can imagine the annoyance of the users. As for the CoM of the day, then there was probably the same reaction to the invention of the wheel at that time.

This new version of the website seems to work well on many different screen sizes and devices.  The menu that appears in the mobile formats would be better if the font size was bigger.

Such design is not easy and, as some have found when your browser remembers the old style, can present problems.  However carrying over the old pages does help you when using bookmarks and is great for web searches as the page addresses/links still work.

I agree the lack of search on the website is frustrating.

1 hour ago, Pete Lewis said:

Theres all the clues in the agm thread, its due to a minor hic up in that the new includes pages taken from the previous site

You cache store  see these and present a scrambled overlay,  clear you cache or multiple refresh will clear this and all will be clear

Pete

Thanks - the multiple refresh worked for me (Windows 10 laptop with Firefox) - good thing as I've no no idea how to 'clear my cache' !

cache  is in browser tools   often the small dot icon in the top right of the search bar , in places like history or settings  . scroll down  maybe in advanced  

clear cache can select just what type of clear you fancy.

and i only push buttons no idea what they do 

i have passed on questions about the idea of a home  and search tabs

pete

You should always clear your history and cache files on a regular basis. Stops unwanted files being stored and slowing your machine, or possibly displaying (as in this case) out dated info/file formatting.

It might be worth considering putting a message in the masthead of the home page advising users (especially those who are not using this forum) to clear their cache etc etc to prevent them having the same problems. We don't want to put casual users of the site off using it in the future or even putting them off the club with these minor teething problems.

Sorry if my observations sparked a negative view, I have nothing but admiration for the club and the efforts members go to to make our membership an enjoyable experience. It was simply an observation made from my I pad which I tend to view more often than a desk top. Whilst I can view the old forum ok the new classifieds are jumbled. No idea about the agm thread as I don’t tend to read every thread, only those of interest or I could contribute.

does it work ok on others iPads?

I would like to echo Badwolf's appreciation for Tom and the others involved. Having worked my entire life in IT I know only too well the complexity that sits behind the simplicity that end users expect. Respect, and if it's being done voluntarily,  even more so! Thank you! 

• Thanks 1

With out rambling Tom is leading changes and is a voluntary COM  the site is managed and serviced and paid for by the club  to Simon  Morgan  At Lynx Design

Both  are club members so a two pronged approach i  suppose.

If you  approach Tom with any idea its free and if you contact  Lynx it will likely be chargable hence contact Tom in the first instance

to appraise  your  questions

Pete 

• 2 months later...

Further to the 'problems' with the club website on its update. Thankfully these, on the whole, appear to have been sorted. What is letting the club down now is that some AOs (not all) don't appear to have updated their web pages for some considerable time. Trawling around via both the website and The Courier I have found links to out of date/obsolete web pages along with incorrect  monthly meeting dates and places, and missing web links. Can I ask Area Organisers to make sure that their links from the main TSSC site and in The Courier, are correct and that the info on them is correct and up to date. There is absolutely no point in updating the main club site, when the satelite links are out of date. We can't expect to get new members if they can't find us!! This is one example http://tssclancashire.yolasite.com/news.php (sorry Lancashire), which was taken from The Courier 468 which is also showing the Manchester area meeting to be in Stockport but the weblink shows it to be in Congleton, near Crewe (sorry Manchester), further south than the Cheshire meeting in Bollington, which is near.... Stockport??

12 minutes ago, Badwolf said:

Can I ask Area Organisers to make sure that their links from the main TSSC site and in The Courier, are correct

BW,

That presumes they are all on here, they ain't! 

I go to Thames area meeting run by Mickey Hazell, he comes to East Berks. Mickey is a diligent AO, one of TSSCs best. He is very active within the club, he organises and runs SEM. Some time ago he asked me if I could "tidy up" Thames on the web site because "You know about that stuff"  To do that I would have to log in as him. As yet he doesn't have an ID, so no progress. 

The majority of AOs are like Mickey, only a handful  log on here, so it's not going to get tidied up by the AOs. It needs the web masters to do it, or enable someone to do it. 

Doug