DIFF OIL FLOW

GT6M

This is a very intresting topic, {well t,me, an meb,ee a few others }

Ive noticed when working on GB /  Diffs, that diff oils foam an aerate diff to each other

The rear oft diff in our cars is quite good, but there ..hollows.. at top where spring bolts are

Some of the TRs are like the flatter square end typ that he,s showing on here.

this must cause oil flow probs, and heat build up he says

also, it alters flow t,frunt bearing.

full series is on you tube, but for some weird reason can just get a single clip on here, not the you tube page, grrrr.

M

Love it!   LOVE IT!

No theorising, actual experimentation.     I'm not sure that his argument, that the spinning crown wheel flings all the oil away and ruins lubrication is valid, but his point about aeration has to be correct.     I think I'd buy one of his covers if I had that sort of vehicle!

Gearbox?   This is a  simulation: 

Just one of many online.    Can't find anyone who's fitted a glass cover and filmed it.

J.

John,Ian,  the oil flow ina GB is even moer so than a diff,

as in top, its spinning as engine spins, so 6K plus !!, diffs are  reduced by the numbers onit

so that oil is really like ..Hoo flung dung,

it going out the casing at 1000 rpms on me drill,  2000 an it,ll be on me roof panels.

and its aerated like a blomange after a wee while, { comma oils is wust ive ever saw }

And, it can tek  alot of hours forit t,go back t,normal looking oil, ive tried it.

there 2 others in the series, the last and final one He aint bunged up yet, as its gonna be showcased when there a final run of em he says.

Our type aint so bad, but the TRs are  looking at em,

M

I think there is a flaw in the experiment.

The chap replaced the original back, with its contoured inner face, with a flat panel. 

The  flat panel allows the oil flow to simply flow where the rotating dynamics dictate.

The areas that concerned the chap (initially at the bottom and latterly as the speed increased) should have contours that would disrupt the smooth oil flow.

Bad experiment. Worth watching though just to see how daft people can be.

Roger

1 minute ago, RogerH said:

I think there is a flaw in the experiment.

The chap replaced the original back, with its contoured inner face, with a flat panel.

On the contrary, Roger. He initially tested a plastic moulding of the original factory cover plate, which is dished. Then, by way of comparison, he fitted a flat perspex sheet to one of the after-market "go faster" rear covers, the inside of which was originally flat, so his experiment was valid for that.

Also, his logic concerned lubrication of the essential working parts, for which you don't want to "disrupt the smooth oil flow" because the natural rotation pushes the oil away from the pinion and you need to keep it flowing smoothly so it goes over the top and forward to where it's needed. His concerns were exactly the opposite of what you seem to have picked up! The flat plate doesn't "allow the oil to simply flow" , it causes disruption that keeps most of the oil away from the front.