Hazard Warning Light Installation - Vitesse Mk2

Paul H

Just installing the Club Shop Hazard Warning System on my Vitesse Mk2 and finding the instructions difficult to understand 

Just a point the bullet connectors are CR*P , they pull off so ditch them and replace 

There are 6 cables coming from the Hazard Unit 

1. Purple . This has inline fuse and connect to live source ---- Done 
  2. Black . Connect to earth --- Done 
  3. Green & White - Connect to Green & White - removed single bullet connector & replaced with double  -- Done 
  4. Green - Connect to Green  - removed single bullet connector & replaced with double  -- Done 
  5. 1st Green & Purple Connect to Feed Wire ( Green & Brown ) removed single bullet connector & replaced with double  -- Done 
  6. 2nd Green & Purple Connect to Terminal B on the Flasher Unit - Does this mean I have to remove the Flasher Unit and there will be a Terminal B ???

I thought Id ask before stripping the Flasher Unit switch 

tssc.thumb.JPG.8c45b9256693187d6ffa2d40512241be.JPG

Paul 

Pretty sure ive cracked it - this is correct way of wiring ( subject to testing )

There are 6 cables coming from the Hazard Unit 

1. Purple . This has inline fuse and connect to live source 

2. Black . Connect to earth

3. Green & White - Connect to Green & White - removed single bullet connector & replaced with double 

4. Green - Connect to Green  - removed single bullet connector & replaced with double 

5. Disconnect one end of Green & Purple of the Indicator loom and replace with a green and purple wire from the Hazard

6. Add a single connector to the remaining Green & Purple wire from the indicator loom and add the remaining green and purple wire from the hazard loom 

Just need to prove 
and Yes the Hazard Warning lights work 

Paul 

Edited by Paul H
  • Like 2

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

Paul _ Can I just check your instructions please:

1. At the moment reads " Purple . This has inline fuse and connect to live source " - so that goes to fuse box or perm live connection somewhere

5. At the moment reads " Disconnect one end of Green & Purple of the Indicator loom and replace with a purple wire from the Hazard" should that read Green & Purple from the hazard loom

6. At the moment reads " Add a single connector to the remaining Green & Purple wire from the indicator loom and add the remaining purple wire from the hazard loom" - is that correct or should it read  ... and add the remaining green & purple wire from the hazard loom".

Just checking before I start the next project.  Thanks

1 hour ago, Badwolf said:

Paul _ Can I just check your instructions please:

1. At the moment reads " Purple . This has inline fuse and connect to live source " - so that goes to fuse box or perm live connection somewhere

5. At the moment reads " Disconnect one end of Green & Purple of the Indicator loom and replace with a purple wire from the Hazard" should that read Green & Purple from the hazard loom

6. At the moment reads " Add a single connector to the remaining Green & Purple wire from the indicator loom and add the remaining purple wire from the hazard loom" - is that correct or should it read  ... and add the remaining green & purple wire from the hazard loom".

Just checking before I start the next project.  Thanks

Hi yes you are correct in your summary above . I hope you have better results than me . The integrated relay stopped working and Martin from the club shop sent me a replacement . Since then the hazards didn’t function every time and a wiggle was required . Lastly the red plastic top came off in my hand the bulb went awol and the circlip flew off . I reassembled the switch using ptfe tape so the red plastic top would fit. Unfortunately I fitted the circlip incorrectly and created a dead short with predictable results. The quality of my switch is cr*p and I can’t trust it anymore so have purchased another version , better made , cheaper and only 4 wires . All being well your switch will prove more reliable and better made 

Paul 

Paul - Got mine off fleabay with their sitewide 10% off day last weekend. It's 'Lucas' branded but came without fitting instructions but the colours match yours. No bullets, just bare ends to the wires but the build desn't look too bad. Can I suggest that you edit your 'final wiring' post (April 22) and mark it as 'updated' in case someone follows it in the future but doesn't read all the thread. I will post my fitting/findings in due course on my restoration thread. Thanks for your help.

22 hours ago, Badwolf said:

Paul - Got mine off fleabay with their sitewide 10% off day last weekend. It's 'Lucas' branded but came without fitting instructions but the colours match yours. No bullets, just bare ends to the wires but the build desn't look too bad. Can I suggest that you edit your 'final wiring' post (April 22) and mark it as 'updated' in case someone follows it in the future but doesn't read all the thread. I will post my fitting/findings in due course on my restoration thread. Thanks for your help.

Hi , thanks for pointing out the errors in my post, the post has been corrected for future reference 

Paul 

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Paul - I was wrong. Came to fit it and took off the red plastic indicator thingy.  Immediately noticed the amount of red plastic 'swarf' on the threads of the bulb holder. Screwed it back on and worked the switch a couple of times... and off it came in my hand.. bulb and spring took off across the garage... threads stripped. Found all the bits, everything back in the box, going back tomorrow. File under heading of 'more rubbish parts'

12 minutes ago, Badwolf said:

Paul - I was wrong. Came to fit it and took off the red plastic indicator thingy.  Immediately noticed the amount of red plastic 'swarf' on the threads of the bulb holder. Screwed it back on and worked the switch a couple of times... and off it came in my hand.. bulb and spring took off across the garage... threads stripped. Found all the bits, everything back in the box, going back tomorrow. File under heading of 'more rubbish parts'

Hi Badwolf - sorry to hear you have the same rubbish as I have - I have since fitted https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/CLASSIC-KIT-CAR-Hazard-Warning-Light-Switch-KIT-COMPLETE-with-bracket/303032562097?epid=1154131254&hash=item468e25f1b1:g:SCkAAOSw5pRcQFe9  Cheaper and easier to fit as only 4 wires and more  important the Hazard works independently of the indicators - the one you currently have is integrated so the Hazard switch if it plays up would mean no indicators . I have informed the Club Shop of my findings 

Heres a pic of the new Harzard switch , the wires have been tidied up 
switch.thumb.JPG.c0885d64a6cbaf20f63e6d341a07b22b.JPG

Paul 

Thanks Paul. Just put one in my fleabay basket for after the refund goes through. Is that one of the highly expensive, period modern, Chinese radios that are only about 3 inches deep? Do usb/bluetooth/fm and the washing up?

Sorry, just found it on Jonathan's radio thread

• 2 years later...

Chaps - I forgot to select 'follow this thread', so have only just seen everyone else's contribs. 

Very happy to go through it stage by stage if anyone is having difficulty . .   ?? 

I posted a vid of them working. Hope you saw them & the switch.

Best, 

C.