Nice 500 mile run

Mat

Did a nice 500 mile round motorway run in the GT6 this weekend (Cornwall to the midlands and back) Only seen 2 other classics out for the whole M5! 

I was certainly noticed!! I would say 90% -95% of passengers were looking at the car as they overtook.

I had beeps, waves, thumbs up's, nod's, photos taken  (I think because it was bank holiday everyone was in a happy mood!)

1250195864_Photo29-03-2019152550.thumb.jpg.8fa3c5f2c2898ac2f085ee592ccaaaae.jpg

1327546450_Photo29-03-2019152400.thumb.jpg.344e0cc096c5f591f62e1cf5c68a7727.jpg
The GT6 ran 100% perfect! smooth, reasonably quiet, didn't miss a beat (I serviced it last week) 4th gear with overdrive all the way, between 60 & 70mph, it averaged 43.4 MPG!!!

As with all of these things in nearly didn't happen as final check before I set off I found a fuel leak in the 2 year old Ebay "R9" rubber hose (better check the rest! lucky enough most of the fuel line is metal) it is also only ever run on 97 or 99 petrol, so not too sure on this ethanol only being in 95 fuel?

As it went so well I was thinking of treating it to a new set of chrome wire wheels, what are your opinions on this? I've heard they can be tricky to balance and need a bit of maintenance.... 

Nice. Well done the GT6. That's very good fuel economy, too.

I'm not convinced that ethanol is the only issue with rubber hose off eBay. General being-made-of-crap is also a problem.

As for wires... I'm not convinced they're ever worth the hassle but I also don't think they suit the Mk3. They do look good on a Mk1.

1 hour ago, johny said:

Have to agree with NonMember on the wheels though (think also about the cleaning) as Id prefer period alloys although maybe not minilites.....

Mine has these period Cosmic alloys, which I rather like, although my brother doesn't

GT6_PreRBRR18.jpg.188400db78c7ee354d1a1eaaab892259.jpg

(you can probably guess when that photo was taken)

9 hours ago, NonMember said:

As for wires... I'm not convinced they're ever worth the hassle but I also don't think they suit the Mk3. They do look good on a Mk1.

4 hours ago, johny said:

you sure on that fuel consumption as that sounds amazing! Have to agree with NonMember on the wheels though (think also about the cleaning) as Id prefer period alloys although maybe not minilites.....

Hi, Thanks for your opinions on the wheels (that's why I asked, as ive never seen a mk3 with wires so were not sure what it would look like) I agree about a MK1 or Mk2

I think I worked out the MPG correct (I did it a few times) here is how I worked it out : hope it makes sense!

It used 50L of petrol (tesco 99ron with castrol valvemaster plus added as instructions, as I use both of these, timing is set to standard )

This cost me £62.50 (petrol @ £1.25 per L)

The car did 480 miles

so I make this 11.1 gallons of fuel (whatever way I worked it) 

I work this out to be approx. 43mpg......

....But I do stand to be corrected, if I've worked out something wrong😕

I got the mileage from doing exactly the same trip in different modern car's many times in the past, not by the gt6 speedometer, but according to a gps the speedometer is accurate in the GT6.

It also has an "O" on the end of the chassis plate so is original overdrive and as can been seen in the photo's its on its original wheels (not tyres!)

maybe...dare I say it....its another good reason to use additive + a higher octane  fuel..(on a GT6 designed to run on 101 anyway)