Herald 1200 engine mount change

Warwickgt

Hi 

Looks like I need to change the engine mounts on the Herald. It is part of an oil leak!. Found one NS bottom bell housing bolt missing dripping onto exhaust. I think perised mount made engine move and somehow made bolt fail need to explore this more only spotted today.  Can I change  mounts by jacking up from below or do I need to support from above. On either method I guess I need drain coolant and detach hoses for movement. Thanks in advance for your knowledge

Oil dripping from the clutch housing has nothing to do with broken / missing / loose bell-housing bolts. And perished engine mounts won't cause those bolts to fail.

If you have a smell of cat pee then it's likely gearbox oil but that's not down to a failed oil seal because Heralds don't have a seal in the gearbox input shaft, just a scroll affair. They do leak a little but normally only if over-filled (although revving the engine immediately before stopping it can encourage a bit of dribbling). The oil should sit well below that shaft and be drawn up by the gears as it rotates. The scroll feeds the oil back into the gearbox using that same rotation, so as long as it's allowed to idle a bit before stopping, there won't be oil sitting there to dribble forward.

The other place gear oil can escape into the bell housing is the bottom bolt that holds the housing on to the gearbox. This is inside the housing so it's a gearbox out job to check. It should have a copper washer as that bolt feeds into the gearbox (the other four are threaded into bits on the outside of the casing).