Gt6 mk3 maiden voyage - break down....

Dolomitejohn

John, I wouldnt go into panic mode😁 I had a tank rust problem after leaving my Vitesse off the road for quite a while but it stabilised with regular use of the car. I know in the Herald/Vitesse the outlet pipe comes in from the top so doesnt suck right from bottom of the tank but once the initial heavy layer of rust comes off the inside the process slows down a lot. Why not just keep an eye on the filter and/or replace it at regular intervals - theyre cheap enough at 70p each from Euro Car Parts!

Phosphoric acid is widely available - just look on eBay!

OR, go to a farmers market/supply depot.   Sold as "Milk Stone Remover", for cleaning out milking machines.

It's harmless, EXCEPT as a concentrated acid, when eye and skin protection, goggles and gloves, are needed.    There is 1-1.5 grams of phosphoric acid ina litre of CocaCola - it's what gives the loathsome drink its 'bite'.

John

Horary maiden voyage take 2 and we have a drivable car.    Took tank out and treated inside with hot water and a dishwasher tablet and 500 old nuts. Re flushed and poured in gallem of 30% phosphoric acid. Changed the angle of the tank a number of times over 3 days.  Drained carefully and the washed out with clean water. Inside did flash rust but not bad. Dried over 15 mins with a heat gun in the filler or sender hole.  Once cooled poured in jug of fuel and swished around.  Drained and refitted tank to car.   Drove car to its first car show tonight.  So much interest in it. Not sure why as its no show queen.... Thank you for all your advice.  See my next issue under the interior section..... 

• Like 1