Recondition Distributor Vitesse Mk2

Paul H

Hi looking to have my Lucas 22d distributor reconditioned . Dr Distributor has quoted £240 and the Club Shop’s price is £105 . Both prices are for points  . Why the huge difference ? 

Im learning the hard way that you have to pay for quality but is this premium worth it or justified ?

Paul 

3 minutes ago, Pete Lewis said:

Im sure club  use   H &H ignition solutions  website being revamped 

But Have facebook presence

As yours is lucas they are diy refurbable ,   bushes spindles and plate and weights all available.

Delco is mend it  to destruction.

Pete

Thanks Pete , any reason why  dr Distributor is more than twice the price ? 

Paul 

Maybe ask for the specifications and what is done?

One may be full of new parts, the other repaired with doing less (that is not necessarily a bad thing, no point in replacing stuff that is OK) But unless you ask them, you won't know

Diz Doc   no idea he sent me a 4 cyl dizzy cap for the 2000   , so not off to good start , soon sorted though.

theres a lot of ebay adverts for nackerspark  4 wired dizzy for 6 cyls  obviously a economy device !!!!

buy club.......... get the backing.......... its what its for 

Pete

• 2 weeks later...

I went directly to H+H for the GT6 dizzy and it was superb, so much so that I had a spare reconditioned, just in case... which sounds like a contradiction given my faith in the quality of work on the first unit, but I had one lying in bits so now have one Lucas and one Delco. I reckon they'll last a lifetime. Or two.

2 hours ago, Colin Lindsay said:

I went directly to H+H for the GT6 dizzy and it was superb, so much so that I had a spare reconditioned, just in case... which sounds like a contradiction given my faith in the quality of work on the first unit, but I had one lying in bits so now have one Lucas and one Delco. I reckon they'll last a lifetime. Or two.

Here’s my dilemma with refurbishing , replacing my Lucas dizzy for my Vitesse MK2 (tacho Drive)

Club Shop reconditioned with points £105 includes new coil (H & H ????)

Club Shop New Delco £240

H & H refurbished Lucas £150 ( direct enquiry )

Dr Distributor refurbished Lucas  £240 

Accuspark new Delco with electronic ignition  £99.95 

There’s a huge difference between the above prices

Any guidance , advice welcomed 

nb perhaps I should set up a poll to see what option is the most popular ! 

Paul 

The club shop £105 is a used distributor with bearings replaced, all components checked and wiring, bushes, cap clips etc replaced. That's what I went for, but went straight to H+H and I think it only cost me £110 with electronic ignition, about four or five years ago.

My Delco unit was causing problems so I sent off an old Lucas version and was so impressed when it returned that I fitted it, then sent off the Delco version too.

I see very little point in going for new, as besides some small marks on the casing, which is repainted anyway, the reconditioned versions are as good as.

The Accuspark version I have no experience of, other than their small electronic points-replacing modules.

Bear in mind that some cheaper four-cylinder dizzies sold a few years back as suitable for Heralds had the incorrect springs and weights so that whilst they may have fitted, and run up to a point, they weren't optimum for the Triumph range, so be sure of buying new that they're the correct models for your car.

Here's a photo of the spare one, taken out of its' box for the first time since about 2014.

DSCF6438.jpg.5a516b41b80f0a38bcd236925f679aa3.jpg

• Thanks 1