Headgasket

Gengis

Which engine? 1600 and mk1engines use the small head stud, and that can be an issue as they can't take a decent torque. Can be drilled/tapped to take the later studs. 

Yes, the pushrod tube side on the early engines often seems to be an issue, but I have avoided them so far. I wonder if a thin smear of hylomar or similar is advised in that area??

But Payen would always be my choice. Why save a couple of quid and risk it?

recessed/non recessed refers to a recess around each cylinder bore that later engines had. Dont think any Vitesse had the recess type (although a later engine could have been fitted of course) which was an attempt by Triumph to stop head gasket failures as the cylinder is where the highest pressures are so the most likely point of failure. However from what Ive read these engines didnt have a particular failure problem although perhaps Triumph were trying to preempt issues from increasing power outputs in some of the 2.5 models.....

1 hour ago, Gengis said:

It’s a mk2. I thought Payne were the ones to go for. 

You have the right letters but in not quite the right order. It’s Payen.... though if you are typing on some kind of I-fruit it probably kindly dis-corrected it for you as mine just did.

The MK2 6 pot isn’t prone to HGF, unlike the MK1, though some weepage under the spark plugs is pretty common and hard to eliminate completely. Occasionally you’ll get a more serious oil leak in the the rear left corner from the oilway to the head.

A recessed block wouldn’t normally have been fitted to a Vitesse, so if it’s still stamped HC you should be safe. You can also check for a gasket tab sticking out of the rear of the head/block join. No tab means flat block, tab means recessed block.

Nick