Herald 12/50 - Barons Auction

Hello.

Spotted this rather lovely Triumph Herald 12/50 via the Barons Auction - sale date 30th April.

Looks pretty decent under the circumstances with decent panel & gap lines; perhaps the seats could do with re-stuffing - but certainly a good example of this particular model IMO.

https://www.barons-auctions.com/view-lot/2910/for-sale-at-barons-auctions-1966-triumph-herald-1250

Regards.

Richard.

8 hours ago, dougbgt6 said:

you've found a nice one! Seats are easy, where's my wallet? :rolleyes:

Hello Doug,

Have to confess, if I was looking for a Herald this particular example would certainly be on target.

Realistically, probably go for about £4.5K or a tad over - still an excellent scoop at that price.

Noted h/brake lever looks high, but again low key work to correct. 

Sadly - my "stable" is full and no room for an additional thoroughbred !!

Regards.

Richard.

Looks as though someone had a scoop with this car.

Sold for £1,705 + BP & VAT.

I looked at a few other classics at this auction and other venues, now getting a distinct impression that the classic car selling market bubble has burst. Prices seem to be slowing if not tumbling to more realistic values; which is great for the true enthusiast.

Regards.

Richard.

I just had another look at the pics. A few things worry me. Notably no shine at all on the paint, so I wonder if the finish is poor? That shade of blue is VERY forgiving.

Couple that with the rubber bumpers held on with bolts(?) it smacks of somebody having  not given the car the attention it maybe deserves. And that raises teh next question, how has the rust been attended to?? Without careful inspection, or better photos of the work, I would be worried it may have involved a lot of filler.

But then again, it may be better than my laptop screen portrays...

Fair points, Clive, it was obviously good enough for someone.

When I look at this car and then others advertised elsewhere, it is not a bad starting point and for a couple of £K you could do a lot worse.

Who knows, the buyer may join or is TSSC - we can then quiz further 🙈 !!!

Regards.

Richard.

It could well be a very decent example, and the paint may be down to allsorts. But substandard paint would seriously affect the price. If the seller had spent the xtra on a decent respray, some seat foams or repair, and a few other bits and bobs it could have doubled the sale price.

But I also think prices are strained, with only the best-looking cars attracting top money.