National Drive-It Day: Sunday 28th April

Hello,

Not seen anything (unless I have missed it) concerning the National DID tomorrow.

Just interested to see what folks are up to tomorrow and if anyone has any plans - just curious.

Regards.

Richard.

Good evening Richard,

Caroline and I are planning to drive out to the Arlington Bluebell woods first thing and then to lunch at the Six Bells in Chidingly. Can't go far as we are parent sitting. What are you planning and which one of yours will you be driving?

Have a good day.

Adrian

In France today there was the equivelent of Drive it Day. My local club had a run - well more like a stroll as the oldest car is from 1934.

Morning was a visit to a chateau ( note a couple of club members taking in the view). Pique nique lunch by a river then a visit to a garden. The weather stayed dry but a bit cool, although I did do the return with the hood down.

SAM_1623.JPG

SAM_1624.JPG

Interesting responses, thanks for the updates.

Good to see National DID still going strong nationally and the equivalent internationally - looking at your first photo Chris, I take it drought conditions on the farmland are present !!!

Well done Clive, good to hear all went well - catch up next week.

That's a decent venue Pete and very interesting I would imagine ??

Paul - hope the weather eased off somewhat, I thought worst of the weather was hanging to the West of the UK ??

Hello Adrian, SCS completed a 55x mile run from Henfield - Lurgashall - Stansted Park House & Gardens via the country lanes. 41x vehicles in attendance and weather decent. Actual door-to-door mileage for me was 160x miles. Took the Daimler for its first serious run and all okay - Vitesse used last year, so time for a swap over.

Compared to previous years I noted less classics on the road, perhaps wrong locations at wrong times to view more !!

All-in all, a great day and I hope likewise for other classic vehicle drivers today.

Regards.

Richard. 

This year was the first time in a while that I haven't driven been out in a Triumph on DID. Last year I was a passenger because Tessa didn't make it to Scotland for the NC500 (this year she did but the week before). I would have joined Pete's outing to Uxbridge but I had a church commitment.

richard  you ?? the Bunker , its all very new ,high spec dedicated buildings above ground been open a year, needs more to fill it up 

the WW2 bunker is down 76 steps , huff and puff a bit.

talk was interesting as it explained how the light clusters were managed and told those who needed to know what the heck was going on and what was or wasnt available all done by telephone so it could not be intercepted and spied on.

there was a clever thought and inventiveness we seem lacking , its a wonderous level of organisation some 70 years old , can you imagine it now

the tinternet gone down the russians have hacked the coded toilet paper ...there was a will to do all this and it worked ..we won 

pete

I haven't been to the new refurbished bunker but went there about 2005 (or maybe before).

You had to get the man to open up specially for you.   All very basic and almost empty at the time. But the control room was there and essentially working.

The whole Uxbridge RAF site has now been totally flattened and an housing estate plopped on top.

But at least they saved the bunker.

Roger

Myself and friends  were on the NC500 (modified to make it NC850) in the Scottish highlands.
First one is my Herald parked at Keilder water on the way north and then at Applecross. You might notice a couple of intruders to our Triumph run, an MX5 and MGF and the Hurricane is only just a triumph as it has a Ford Zetec engine!

Had a great 5 days driving around the highlands single track roads, I can highly recommend it.

Mike

IMG_20190425_100452.jpg

IMG_20190427_093550.jpg

IMG_20190428_090152.jpg