Recommendations please

deefer

What is the problem with the brakes?

It may well be the discs/pads/hoses etc at fault, a servo will only help if you cannot press the brake pedal hard enough.

May I suggest bringing the car to the next sussex meeting? There are a few of us there who know a bit about these cars  ;)

Its in the courier, but first wednesday at the laughing fish, isfield.

Lacklustre sounds like they need some work, they should be crisp and sharp.

Also front wheel bearings can cause pad knock back which leads to  a softer pedal, and if the rear brakes have been adjusted incorrectly that causes issues. Add to that mix old/soft brake hoses, cheap pads, old fluid and worn discs, and the brakes can feel horrible.

The rear brake adjustment should be done with the brake cable disconnected. Ideally take the drums off too and check the shoes.

Otherwise a visual inspection, but you need somebody pressing hard on the brake pedal to check the hoses for damage/softness. Check front wheel bearings by rocking the front wheel top and bottom, should be a tiny amount of play, a mm or 2 at the rim.

The brakes on a 13/60 should be fine if working correctly.  It's been said many times before, but don't fit a servo in response to a possible weakness in the braking system.  I suggest checking the system over and adjusting the rears.  I agree with Clive, take the car to a meeting where you will find a wealth of knowledge.

Let us know how you get on,

Tom

Just the usual lacklustre performance. 

It shouldn’t be, as Clive says. Maybe in relation to a modern, servo-assisted car they seem poor, but in their day the brakes were as good as they needed to be. You just have to get used to putting more pressure on the pedal, and much earlier.

No brakes should be spongey - sounds as though something's awry. My GT6's brakes aren't servo assisted, but are just as sharp as modern brakes if jabbed quickly - just need more pedal pressure. Locking up is easy, even with modern tyres! That said, I'm always mindful that more pedal input is needed to get a response when jumping between cars.

On a previous car when I bought it I had a set of front pads which had worn unevenly due to poorly lubricated pins - changed them and applied lots of copperslip and the brake feel was transformed. Could be something that simple.

Gully

Thanks all. Plenty to think about! Will try and get along to my next area meeting to get others' opinions and thoughts on my brakes. I've had the car ten years so I'm well used to the difference between my Herald and my everyday modern Mini, but it would still be good to get better brake performance when in the Herald, if poss!

on the Rorty Vit6   we upped the  weeny type 12 to 16s , used Mintex 1144 pads  braided hoses  and a single line add on servo  ......  Now thats more than comparable to modern , stops with a tickle  

its all down to preference,    and the feel you want ,   servos dont improve the foundation braking but reduces  input effort and  foot response times .

takes the 'Oh sh1t'   out of a rapid reaction.

one cheap option is to make the pedal pad larger .. if there's room   .makes a surprising  difference without any mods