Fake spark Plugs

Pete Lewis

Very interesting Pete, I have a little story regarding this from my adventure last year:

In Osh, Kyrgyzstan there's a huge auto-bazar made up of shipping containers. We needed more spark plugs having used up all 8 of our spares due to running rich at high altitude (4000m+)... We found a helpful (and extremely honest) seller who spoke some english... He warned us against buying his as they were all fake and would only last "1000 km". Instead, he took us around to his competitor's stalls and found us some "okay" ones... Still fakes - this time "Toyota OEM" NGKs, he said these would last at least 3000km!

We didn't use them in the end, managed to make the last set last the remaining 9,000 miles. All of them looked convincingly genuine too, only way to tell was to compare the box colours and insulator printing against our genuine ones from the UK.

Something you take for granted in the UK, given I can buy a set of 4 genuine NGK BP6ES for around £6 from ECP. You'd have thought the profit margin in copying cheap plugs (unlike the fancy ones) would be negligible...

Obligatory pass summit picture (Ak-Baital, 4,655m):
1155004600_IMG_20180809_100617(1).jpg.d89c500eff50315dc0afea0ddcd3125b.jpg

1 hour ago, JumpingFrog said:

Ak-Baital, 4,655m

Damn..... that IS high.  No wonder you had sooty plugs.  No PI equipped car need attempt that one!  After experiencing 3,700m on Mount Teide a few weeks back I suspect you were wishing for a personal supercharger as well.....

Nick

Apologies to Pete for diverging off topic...

7 hours ago, JohnD said:

A glimpse into your epic trip!    Will we be able to read more, with pictures, some time?    That would increase my envy of you and your enterprise in taking it on, but in a good way!

Thank you for the kind words, and sorry its taking so long! Soon, there will be a video, maybe even this weekend (if I don't get distracted!). I also started writing it up a while back, but admittedly lost my way and started building a new gearbox for my other car instead...

6 hours ago, Nick Jones said:

Damn..... that IS high.  No wonder you had sooty plugs.  No PI equipped car need attempt that one!  After experiencing 3,700m on Mount Teide a few weeks back I suspect you were wishing for a personal supercharger as well.....

Performance did take a hit, yes. Maybe 30mph top speed, not to mention the mysterious tanks we had to buy our fuel from. Of course, advertised as 92 octane, but I doubt it! Fortunately, not a problem given the altitude and our low compression 8:1 engine.  More speed was never really wanted given the local "road" conditions:

P1000770.JPG.b02992d7557945e593ef965547f8462b.JPG