Vitesse mk2 fitting gt6 overdrive

Joe c

Hello in the process of gt6 overdrive box to my vitesse mk2 ,now if I knew what I started

so  the main issue is gearbox approx 10cm longer had

to cut propshaft tunnel back and possible trim sides slightly 

to get gearbox in  but now in  Now next issue is propshaft 

Or all over drive props the same or have to modify original

or any issues I face  has anybody done this

thanks joe

now 

GT6 and vitesse overdrive boxes are identical (OK, some differences over the years and the last GT6 boxes were probably the best)

But it means you just need the overdrive vitesse parts. So a vitesse overdrive prop (different to GT6) likewise vitesse overdrive cabe, and assume you have the angle drive for the cable?

You must have the correct od rubber mount plus the overdrive mounting plate? And not sure what you are doing about switch, either the vitesse/early gt6 coulm switch, or the GT6 gearstick and switch depends on what is available and preference.

My only concerns is that you have a proper vitesse/gt6 gearbox. It has the same gearchange mechanism as the one you took out? I hope so....

Shown this before, but it does away with the need for a column switch, by putting it on the steering wheel.

The rocker switch shown later replaced by an ON-OFF-ON press switch and pilot light.    Curlywhirly three core cable to the wheel, froma bracket under the dash.

John

Wheel mounted O-drive switch Mk2.jpg

45 minutes ago, clive said:

GT6 and vitesse overdrive boxes are identical (OK, some differences over the years and the last GT6 boxes were probably the best)

But it means you just need the overdrive vitesse parts. So a vitesse overdrive prop (different to GT6) likewise vitesse overdrive cabe, and assume you have the angle drive for the cable?

You must have the correct od rubber mount plus the overdrive mounting plate? And not sure what you are doing about switch, either the vitesse/early gt6 coulm switch, or the GT6 gearstick and switch depends on what is available and preference.

My only concerns is that you have a proper vitesse/gt6 gearbox. It has the same gearchange mechanism as the one you took out? I hope so....

Yes changed mounting plate and rubber mount and angle drive for speedo

only one concern with box it a 73 us spec don’t know any difference  and

overdrive solenoid on left hand side of car 

had a propshaft what measures up ok but flanges both end smaller  don’t know if interchange flanges with original 

overdrive s/w just mount s/w under dash to test then make a decision 

8 minutes ago, thescrapman said:

If you had said an inch longer, I would have said you have the long rear flange on a J-type or a single rail box from an 1850

Hello 

I identify box as gt6 73 us spec

basically 10 cm longer  then original non overdrive 

now can any overdrive be bolted on see numbers but know J ,D or A type not j 

solenoid on left hand side of gearbox

can u identify by numbers 

thanks joe

Solenoid on the left sounds like a J-type (I've not seen an A type on a GT6 box - is it even possible?) which should fit with a standard Vitesse OD prop, which is a couple of inches shorter than the non-OD one. But if the "new" box is 10cm (4 inches) longer than the old then that doesn't sound right at all. Could it be that the "GT6 73 US spec" box Joe has been sold is actually nothing of the sort but rather a Triumph 2000 saloon box?

We can tell some of that from numbers.

We can definitely identify it from a decent set of photos.

Indeed a picture is needed. 

Did teh GT6 box ever get the J type OD?? I know the early dolly 1850 is identical to GT6/vitesse box but with J type, and rebuilds can swap cases etc about. Pictures will definitely help.

Yes that's a J type OD but I can't understand why it's so much longer than the original box when normally you would expect no more than 1" difference compared to the standard D type gearbox. The serial number stamped on the top RH side of the cast iron gear case would be useful to know as well....

Sorry just reread your previous post and see that this box is 10cm longer than original non OD box which of course is perfectly possible. So yes that gearbox looks like it's going to be the same length as a standard Vitesse OD one....

Very last GT6 had the J type I think, Same as last few Mk4 Spitfire got them.

there are 2 different rear flanges available, 1 an inch longer. Also 2 different size OD to gearbox plates, again an inch longer.

i think you got the longer rear flange if you got the shorter adaptor on an 1850, but if you fit the short flange to the short adaptor the normal OD prop will fit. Certainly did on my Spitfire.

Hello 

the d mounting plate doesn’t fit

also the Propshaft  measure 43 half inch  fully in to tight to fit

so checking  overdrive definitely j type

so now need j mounting plate

also j propshaft  which is shorter  I hope 

or have to get propshaft cut

only glad had propshaft only  bought d mounting plate

No Joe, as Scrapman says you just need the shorter rear coupling flange to get a standard OD propshaft to fit. In fact you should be able to use the one off your non OD gearbox and it's an easy job which should make your new box 1" shorter.....

3 hours ago, thescrapman said:

Very last GT6 had the J type I think, Same as last few Mk4 Spitfire got them.

there are 2 different rear flanges available, 1 an inch longer. Also 2 different size OD to gearbox plates, again an inch longer.

i think you got the longer rear flange if you got the shorter adaptor on an 1850, but if you fit the short flange to the short adaptor the normal OD prop will fit. Certainly did on my Spitfire.

Ok thanks

6C592DD8-78CD-484B-AC69-F24AE0BD5FEC.thumb.png.560fb1f4cac8413407ee9d736e1bea32.png

2 hours ago, johny said:

Please let us know if it works as these things are good to know🤓

hello see  what u mean  ,I was thinking maybe not enough clearance on  mainshaft  but looking at pics 

this could resolve it