Sound deadening

Chris A

I'm thinking of adding some more sound deanening material to my 13/60 convertible.

Firstly: Is it worth putting any on the inside of the bonnet? From the photos I've seen with bonnets open on various models lots of owners haven't done this so I guess it isn't worth it and is better just to concentrate on the inside of the car.

Secondly: If it is worth it I would want to use a product that is black, not the shiny aluminium types. Do any of you have any recommendations.

Thanks

No real point under the bonnet, it's not really that noisy from outside and will make minimal difference inside.

Inside, on my Heralds I've used the old bitumen backed sound-deadening (bought three huge rolls years ago at Stoneleigh) and I've stuck it to every vertical face of the bulkhead, behind and under the dash, to keep engine noise out of the cabin. I also used it in the GT6 on the floors under the carpet as a sort of underfelt as I know this car won't get wet on the inside, unlike the Heralds. If you want a carpet underfelt to deaden road noise get some of the modern multi-coloured and totally waterproof stuff from your local scrapyard; they usually throw it away and will sell it for pennies. This stuff also works in the recesses to the sides of the bulkhead (ie behind the A post but in front of the doors) in place of those plastic bags of shreds that were originally there.

Thanks Colin, I can save a bit of money then by not doing the bonnet. :)

As for 'local' scrapyards, I'll need to set off after breakfast & take a packed lunch with me. i.e. they are few and far between in my rural setting.

I think I'll get some sticky back stuff for the bulkhead and similar areas as you suggest.