The Edwards Patent Bolt Saver

Unkel Kunkel

C8CD3194-2A04-4EC5-A6AC-F5CF32691E2D.thumb.jpeg.fe3fe7158325ea379b4c245e3121ee2b.jpegI can’t remember when I got this device - and it was ancient then.

Just used it successfully and mention it  here as a curio

It  does work surprisingly well

I wish I had one in other than  BSF  which I don’t encounter too  much these days.

Can you get them in UNF  / Metric or is it from a by- gone age ?

23079654-E21C-4997-9BD5-6BBECC2780C2.jpeg

Yes, they  do seem to be  around  sometimes  on EBay as you noted ,Steve.

Useful yesterday  recovering  a 1/4” BSF bolt on something very old.

They aren’t as ancient as I thought.

Lawrence Edward Lamude   got his patent  in 1953.

-Younger than me.

DFF8CA5A-4961-4FC3-A74B-048C19ED46D7.jpeg

1 hour ago, 68vitesse said:

Always liked old tools, main reason I go to car boot sales.

+1 to that; there's something about using a really solid, old tool for a job as opposed to the modern lightweight versions that are probably more efficient but don't have the same feel.

I was at a great show on Monday, my first of the year so far, and being a lorry / tractor-based show there were loads of boxes of old tools and sockets in the autojumble. 

As a contrast, some of the stalls were selling modern spanners and pliers, and they were already rusting just sitting on the display...

Hmmmmmmmm!   Patented 1952, in the height of post WW2 rationing, "Export or Die" and austerity.   When the UK couldn't afford a new bolt, even when an old one had knackered, corroded threads.

Has it's miraculous reapperance at this time signalled a re-ride on the "You never had it so good" boom that followwed , or the inflation that fuelled it?

John

If you like fascinating  odd patents and inventions - (and If you have’t heard of him)

I suggest looking up the inventions of Granville Bradshaw. 

The (flawed ) genius  of aero engine, ABC cars and motorbikes. toroidal engines designs also   3 D television and  security devices andeven lots of patents for  slot  machines.

4 hours ago, JohnD said:

Has it's miraculous reapperance at this time signalled a re-ride on the "You never had it so good" boom that followwed , or the inflation that fuelled it?

John

I think it's reappeared given the price of new bolts.... some suppliers have one heck of a mark-up on the things as opposed to local hardware stores (if you can find UNF in your local).

1 hour ago, Badwolf said:

Was the quality of steel any better in the old bolts. I have noticed the tendancy for some of the new stuff to strip threads more easily, or maybe it just me overtightening!

Hello

I think un marked heads are likely to be EN8 

But most of our Classic Car bolts would be R or S quality (marked on the head) 

Nuts were marked differently ooo on the flat or circle with letter on one face

Thinking about it ooo,s maybe just UNF!

Roger

ps there is a lot of rubbish stuff out there now! but good ones will still be marked! (I suppose the they could be fakes!)

1 hour ago, Badwolf said:

My Dad worked in the steel industry all his life and in the 70s was horrified at all the rubbish steel that was being shipped to the far east and coming back as Datsuns!!

And there was me thinking it all went to British Leyland.

Regards

Paul

Just happens that I came across this today, the Real Thing:

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Blue-Point-External-U-S-Small-Tool-Thread-Chaser-Set-TR-20-C/163457589313?hash=item260ed4e041:g:n-EAAOSw55FcJ8bn  Made by Mr.BluePoint

Mr.Sealey does one similar in the UK, but it looks a little cheap: https://www.ebay.co.uk/p/Sealey-AK315-Universal-External-Thread-Repairer-Chaser/23011726308?iid=153182552067

These have a hard insert shaped to match the threads you wnat to restore, that attaches in the jaws, and you wind the bolt against.

John