Which Antifreeze?

RayHutch

Hello Ray.

You need to use BLUE anti-freeze, I use Granville Sub Zero Blue - it's an excellent product.

Do NOT use OAT (pink / orange) antifreeze.

Secondly, DO NOT use tap water, you should use a softer water such as distilled or de-ionised. You can purchase these 2x different types for a £1 or so at Tesco / Sainsbury etc and usually comes in 2.5Ltr containers.

Mixture wise, anything between 25% to 50% and of note if you have an iron block with alloy head you should use the higher % mix. However you have iron and iron, so go for about 30%.

This would also be a good opportunity to flush your coolant system through.

Hope that helps ??

Regards.

Richard.

Use a glycol based blue and if you dont like tap water , buy some  demineralised 

Its probably  used tap water for the last 40 years  bit late to worry now

Of you want to flush the system just use a strong mix of cheap washing soda from a supermarket

Two cup fulls and wash /hose out after a couple of days 

Dont add any pink OAT based it will not mix with any previous blue AF. And can turn to jelly

Pete

• Like 1

Yes Ray, spot-on that is the stuff.

eBay do good prices and of course best VFM is the 5L unit.

I found this 5L offer with ONLY 2x left - not surprising at the price and I have purchased from the company before, so I know they are okay.

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Granville-Sub-Zero-Blue-Concentrate-Antifreeze-Summer-Coolant-5-Litre/142791110505?epid=2257218373&hash=item213f036f69:g:q9MAAOSwuTta9aqN&frcectupt=true

Regards.

Richard.

Just too late for you, RayHutch. But anyone considering antifreeze for our cars might note the MG document mentions Propylene Glycol and that it is less toxic. Ethylene Glycol is highly toxic and needs to be disposed of carefully, not just thrown down the drain. It was infamously added to a batch of Austrian wine many years ago. Although the PDF says that Comma have stopped making Propylene Glycol antifreeze, I believe it is a legal requirement that central heating antifreeze uses Propylene Glycol so that children and pets aren't poisoned by leaky radiators! I use Fernox Alphi 11 in the Spit, and there is anecdotal evidence on the web that Rolls Royce used to specify this product in their cars. Another advantage is that the anti-corrosion agents in central heating antifreeze such as this last for 20 years or so, not the 2- or 3 years which is normal for blue antifreeze. So taking this into account, the more expensive central heating product works out cheaper in the long run.

Cheers, Richard

• Like 1